American Precision Bass review by Fender

Fender: American Precision Bass

Purchased from: Fender

This bass suits my punk rock and style perfectly. That is why I chose the Precision Bass over the Jazz Bass. It gives more of a punchier tone to my music. The J-bass is really for smoother music. The amp I use is the Fender Rumble 15. This is a very small amp, but I'll do a separate review on that. It's a great little practice amp for me as a beginner bassist. The noise-level is just about how loud you turn it up. But my parents say its too loud. Parents will be parents.

I mostly play punk rock, alternative, some metal, and grunge especially. This was just a perfect match for me. When I am older and get out of high school, hopefully I can afford a Music Man bass. I have been playing for about 4 1/2 years from right now. I really don't have alot of gear. Two basses and I bought an Acoustic guitar a few weeks ago. I wish I asked how to hold a pick, because I still have trouble with that. I would buy this bass again for sure. But it is like a son to me, so I would never stand for it to be stolen. I really like the maple neck and the width of the P-bass. It just feels so perfect sliding around in my hands. I picked this over the J-Bass because the Jazz bass just didn't sound right to me when I was trying all these basses out at Guitar Center (pretending I would actually buy it from them LoL). I wish it had a J-bass single coil pickup added on. Like the Duff McKagan Signature bass. Maybe I can customize that on somehow. But it will give me a wider range of tones, and make me a better bassist.

Will this guitar withstand live playing? Oh yeah, this definetly can. I already played with it for 4 (really small) shows. It worked great. As long as you don't intend to damage it, it will not let you down. But I would never perform any sort of big show without a backup. That is where my Dean Edge 04 comes in. Though I have not had a big show yet. Hardware? Well, I actually have a fear of opening up my bass and messing it up from the inside. So I would not know this. But I assume so. The only thing is, the fret wires seem to be wearing out a bit from slapping and popping (but I've had this bass for almost 4 1/2 years now, so that would be expected).

This bass guitar was set up beautifully straight from the factory. The only thing that was bad was the action. I think they might have put it a little too low. But probably because I told them over the phone when I ordered the bass that I was a complete starter. Low-action = Beginners, I guess? But that is an easy adjustment. Pickups were attached fine. I really don't see how one could go wrong with an American Standard Bass. No scratches or anything. Lucky for me, since they shipped it from wherever the factory is to Newy York.

Mine came with a Deluxe Fender Gig Bag. Can't really go wrong with that.