Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V review by Fender

Fender: Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V

Purchased from: Moore Music

I play Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal, and funk. It handles the first four excellent, but it's hard to play Funk on it, but that's more of an action problem. With full bridge you get the deep bass that's amazing for low down driving, at mid you got a nice classic Rock sound, and full bridge gives you that 1950's bass sound.

This matches my versetile styles quite well. I wish it had a better funk sound, but it matches my rock and blues perfectly. I've been playing for five years and have a Squier Affinty, my own 8-string I built, and an Upright. With the exception of my upright this is my favorite bass. If I could change something on it I would make it with a 35" scale for a tighter B-string. I love it's versatillity, but it's action leaves something to be desired.

This bass is solid. It's held up through hundreds of gigs, never broke a string, never even scratched it. It has been dropped while in the case once, and it didn't even loose it's tune. It holds perfect tunning, I check it every gig but never have to tune it but every 3 or 4. No problems with it, and I would never play a gig without a backup, but if I had to this would be the bass I would bring.

Here's where the problem lies. From the factory you get a pretty loose B string which likes to rattle quite a bit. So once you tighten that aup to a comfortable setting you find that your other strings have to be raise a lot to match it, or you can leave them with a really low action and have a high B-string which is really akward. Other than that everything is dandy.

This is a MIM Fender Deluxe Active J-bass V. It has 20 frets, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. The body is solid Alder with a satin finish. It's the average C-body style so common to Fender Jazz basses. It has Active electronics with volume, pickup selector, bass, mids, and high knobs for fine tuning your sound. It has 2 Noiseless pickups, (Bridge and Neck) With compact Gotoh tuners on it. It comes with the Deluxe gig bag.