Deluxe Active P Bass Special review by Fender

Fender: Deluxe Active P Bass Special

I play hard rock/metal bass (Guns N' Roses, Trivium etc) and due to the versatility of the pickups and pickup selector (that melds between the pickups, rather than just having one pickup or both, this one control can also adjust the tone of both, saving the need for two tone controls). I can get the sounds I want perfectly. I am only using this with a pratice amp and no effects but the quality is crystal clear. I can go from a deep booming growl with just the P pickup or a bright warm sound utilizing the jazz pickup. The boost controls are also very useful, espicially when it comes to bass and treble, I felt that this had not enough bass and mid to begine with, but after a few minutes of twiddiling knobs I found a perfect sound. When the bass is set to just the jazz pickup selected the sound is very tinny and useless, the jazz pickup only shows it's usefullness when combined with some of the P pickup too.

This bass is perfect for many styles of music due to it's P/J pickup combination and its pickup selector. If it was stolen or lost I would certainly buy this bass again assuming if I had the same budget, if not I would either get the American Deluxe version, or buy the Aerodyne bass. I love the versatility in this bass the most, the worst thing is the strap buttons, but that is trivial. This bass owns the standard Fender precision basses and Jazz basses I have played, I chose this because of Duff Mckagans (GN'R) use of the P/J combination. And also the jazz neck. My only wish of this product would be bigger strap buttons, and perhaps a humbucker jazz pickup in the bridge like the american deluxe version. This bass is perfect for nearly any style of music.

After playing this guitar for sometime, it proves to be very dependable in a live setting. The Hardware is very solid and will last for sometime, the strap buttons are very small and my strap keeps falling off at random intervals it would be wise to invest in straplocks for this bass. I can depend on this bass to not let me down unless the batteries go (which is unlikely to happen without me knowing they need replacing). I would, and will, use this bass without a backup. The satin finish seems good enough to last for a very long time.

When I got this bass, the action was set perfect, very low and fast how I like it. the pickups were also set in place very well. No problems with the body or bridge, the input jack was very slightly loose but was easily fixed back into place. The pickup selector makes a slight buzz when switched to the "both" setting. but apart from those two minor details the bess is setup perfect. It also looks very, very nice with a gold pickguard and black body.

Made in 2005, Mexican made (American parts however). 20 frets with a very nice jazz bass (i.e. thin) neck. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. 1-Ply Beveled Gold Vinyl pickguard. 34" scale. Precision bass body. Satin fnish. American Vintage Precision Bass bridge. Active electronics. Side mounted jack. One Master Volume, One Pickup Selector, Bass, Mid and treble boost controls. P/J pickup configuration. P pickup is standard Fender stock pickup, jazz pickup is Fender vintage noiseless. Standard "Clover" Fender bass tuners. Free, very well padded, gig bag.