Deluxe Active P Bass Special review by Fender

Fender: Deluxe Active P Bass Special

Even though it is a jazz bass, it has a nice deep sound that makes it good for the style of music were playing (grunge). We don't even have to put much distortion on it because of the nice sound, but we usually use a FAB Distortion petal with a little overdrive in it and a Drive Bass amp. It isnt very noisy cus it never squeals on any of the settings. It does not really have a full sound. It has a bright sound and that's what I like about it. The guitar makes many sounds and has a lot of variety.

We play a mix of metal and alternative, grunge maybe and I think it is a great match. We have had it for 7 years and also own another bass and 2 other guitars. No not really. I think I would track down the guy that took it and light him on fire, but if I didn't find him I would definately buy it again. My favorite feature is it's low tone and low action.

This guitar is very tough and has survived many live performances. Everything on this guitar seems like it will last forever, there is no rust or anything and we have never polished or cleaned it. The strap buttons are solid and sturdy and have not given us any trouble. It has a great finish and I would think about not having a backup with it but maybe not just out of common sense.

The set-up in the factory is good. The low action is great. The pickups are adjusted perfect. The top is bookmatched OK. The top bridge is routed only a little off but sounds great still. The guitar has only 1 flaw and that would be the cracks in the paint.

Made in about 2000 in Japan. It has 23 frets with a thin neck. Has a laminated top mahogany and basswood with flamed top finish. Strat body and Tune-O-Matic bridge style. Has active pickup. There are 2 tone nobs and 2 volume nobs. Fender active pickups and non-locking tuners.