Deluxe Active P Bass Special review by Fender

Fender: Deluxe Active P Bass Special

My music style is classic rock, blues, British invasion, funk, and much more. This bass fits all these styles well. Partly due to the fact that there's a mix of a P-Bass pickup and a Jazz bass pickup. The active EQ also helps a lot and makes the bass very versatile. I've used this bass with multiple amps, Ampeg's, Rogue's, GK's, etc. It isn't noisy at all and this bass makes a nice full round bassy sound when using mainly the P-Bass pickup, and it makes a nice bright high end sound when using the Jazz bass pickup. As said before you can get plenty of different tones out of this bass and it'll suit almost any genre of music.

This bass is nicely made and will last you a pretty long time. If you're starting to do small-medium sized gigs then I'd suggest that you get this bass. It's reliable, versatile, nice sounding, and durable. If it was stolen, I'd probably look around at other basses in its price range but I'm guessing I'd get this one again.

I would completely rely on this bass at a gig. Although it wouldn't hurt to have a backup, I wouldn't have to worry about whether this bass would break down in the middle of a gig or not. The hardware seems nice and durable and the original strap buttons seemed solid, but I put in some new strap locks just to be safe. Since I haven't had this bass for more then a few months I can't exactly say if this finish is great but it hasn't gotten chipped off yet so all is well with the finish so far.

This bass was setup up quite nicely at the factory. The action is nice, the intonation is nice, the pickups are adjusted nicely, and everything else was fine. Except for the master volume. One night while playing the bass, the master volume suddenly stopped working completely. I almost called Fender until I unplugged the bass and plugged it back in. At that point, it started working again. I'm thinking it was the cable or the amp that was messed up because this problem hasn't ocurred since.

My Active P-Bass was made in Mexico. It has a maple Jazz neck/rosewood fretboard combo and an alder P-Bass body. The fretboard has 20 medium jumbo frets. The body is covered in a black polyester finish. This bass, although made in Mexico, actually has an American Vintage P-Bass bridge. The Active P-Bass Special has active electronics, which allows for a master volume knob, a pickup pan knob, a treble cut/boost knob, a bass cut/boost knob, and a mid cut/boost knob. There are 2 pickups that come with the bass. One is a Standard Alnico Split single-coil Precision Bass pickup, and the other is a Dual-Coil Ceramic Noiseless Jazz Bass pickup with nickel plated pole pieces. The tuners are just standard tuners and by getting the bass from Musiciansfriend.com it came with a nice Fender case.