Deluxe Active P Bass Special review by Fender

Fender: Deluxe Active P Bass Special

this bass will suit every music style. There has been no tone I cannot create due to the active pickups, the slap tone is to die for! Its forte though is that punchy growl of the really old Precision basses combined with the bright jazz pickup to create a brilliant sound. I use a Fender Rumble 100 (which I wish to replace when funds arrive), a Behringer TU300 tuner pedal and a Ehx Big Muff Pi. My main music style is classic rock/hard rock but I also play alternative muse/RATM to which I cannot fault this bass.

I LOVE THIS BASS! When I purchased this bass I had a long list which I narrowed down to this, the active jazz special, geddy lee sig., duff mckagen sig., Epiphone active thunderbird special, Schecter model T, '51 prec. It was a close call between this and the active jazz (which after playing my friends I can tell I made the right choice) I have been playing 3 years and I have several guitars and some cheap-ass basses which are 'projects'. If it was lost or stolen I would probably go for something like the Fender road worn or american series basses. Just because I like change. My favourite feature is the finish/pickup config. Just for the amount of people asking how much my 'custom' bas cost :p

This reminds me. I need strap locks. The stock ones are the only downfall of this bass. At a gig this bass shines! My backup never leaves its case, the hardware is very sturdy so will last longer than I will! The finish is a little knocked in places but because of the pearly finish they can only be seen close up. Overall brilliantly dependable except the strap buttons.

The guitar was in tune straight out of the box, the action was good and I haven't had to get it readjusted yet. Flawless finish, no cracks by the pickups etc. The pikcups could do with a raise but I am a perfectionist. Basically this bass was brilliant out of the box and hasn't needed any adjusting so far and I've had it like 8 months.

This Bass was made in mexico. It has the P Bass split single coils and a jazz bass pickup (Bridge) they are Fender noiseless pickups its the same pickup config as the Duff McKagen signiture I believe, the controls are different to a regular Precision bass as you get the treble, middle and bass knobs (active pickups) the treble is above the bass knob as a stack. The other two knobs are master volume and tone, which is more a pickup selecter. Mine is in the pearl finish with gold pickguard which I was hesitant about at first but looks great. Jazz bass neck (mines in maple but rosewood is available) 20 frets and GREAT tuners. The tuners are fantastic they are not locking but I rarely have to tune it! (I check anyway though) it is extremally well made to a very high quality. It came with a very thick soft cse and tools etc.