Deluxe Active P Bass Special review by Fender

Fender: Deluxe Active P Bass Special

Price paid: C$ 770

Purchased from: Blue Mountain Music

The P Bass is known for being a great all around bass I went from a jazz/blues based Washburn bass to this Fender P bass. I use a Fender Rumble 30 (I intend to get a better amp too) Amp Settings: (from scale -15 to +15) bass: -10 Mid: +10 Treble: -10 It creates a strong tone that allows the higher notes to be heard very loudly but the low notes too (I'm tuned to drop D 90% of the time). This bass has 4 options for changing the sound. Master Volume Dynamic Select Treble Boost cut (main knob) (knob on top of Treble Boost Cut)--> Bass Boost Cut Mid Boost Cut I play lots of Metalcore stuff such as Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden but I do also switch to some Indie rock such as Modest Mouse (they have an Indie sound) as well as some electronic stuff such as Late Of Pier and The Killers. This bass suits the sound I need perfectly for the different sounds those bands produce.

As I mentioned before this bass can play anything and it still sounds amazing this is a great bass to turn to. I was looking for a primarily metalcore bass (looking at Ibanez, B.C. Rich and ESP) but instead I played a standard P Bass at the store and fell in love with the sound (though it was missing something). I went for the Deluxe for the extra Jazz pickup and that was that. I have been playing bass for two years and 4 months I was previously playing a Washburn XB100 (my first bass) but it didn't have the sound I wanted out of playing (I didn't know back then). If this bass were stolen/lost (dunno how that would happen) I would definitely get a new one. I love the maple fretboard, it's very smooth and my hand glides up and down the neck another thing I love is the anniversary plate on the back of the body marking 60 years of Precision bass as well as the beautiful headstock that all Fenders have. I don't hate anything about this bass. I can only compare it to my old bass; this bass, Fender Deluxe, beats it, hands down, in every area. There is little else I can think of to improve this bass I do need a better amp to improve the sound.

The bass is a litle heavy so it may become strainuous when playing for a long periods of time, most of the time I play sitting down so I don't feel the weight on my back though it feels a little heavy on my thigh after a long time.

The Bass was set up brilliant in the factory, I found 1 scratch when unboxing but I lost where it went since then no other issues it was clearly put together well no other issues with the bass physically. The pickups are great no problems with them as well as the bridge, no problems there or anywhere for that matter. The finish is fantastic I love the colour when looked at in person the bass has a great silver look to it rather than a blank white you look at on the Fender website.

My Deluxe Active P Bass was made in 2011 in Mexico. 20 Medium Jumbo Frets on a Maple neck (maple fretboard aswell). Body is Ash. My colour scheme is Blizzard Pearl (white with a gold pick guard). Though the white has a silver touch to it. Gig Bag was included, though I plan to purchase a hard shell case to preserve it better. This bass has standard Precision P Bass pickups in the middle of the body but also a jazz bass pickup next to/infront of the bridge.