Dimension Bass IV review by Fender

Fender: Dimension Bass IV

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I am writing this 2 and a half years after purchasing it and using it fairly constantly. Quite frankly, I adore this bass. The pickup blend works great and with the bass/mid/treb knobs the possibilities are endless, ranging from deep, deep lows to sweet highs. Sounds like a quality Fender, as good as any I've played. You don't get The Feeling that this is a sub-$800 bass; you feel like it's that much more. Buzzing is minor, if anything.

This bass has suited me in everything I've needed to play, from earth, wind, & fire to Metallica. The tonal variety is a huge help. Been playing for five+ years and have experimented with a lot of other equipment. Other gear includes a Peavey 5 string, a Squier P Bass, and 2 uprights of unknown manufacture. At school, I use a Fender American Jazz Standard that sees several hours of play a week during the year. If lost, I'd buy it again in a second, if they actually had any around. I compared it extensively to the Warwick Rockbass standard, and I can honestly say I made the right choice.

Never had an issue in a Live gig. 15 or so gigs later, I can honestly say I've never had to use a backup. Hardware seems durable, no qualms to speak. Forearm straplock is quite strong, but the rear one needs tightening every few months. A phillips head screwdriver will suffice. Not sure if my straplocks cause this. Finish has not worn off on an of the playing surfaces, only where I've dropped it like an idiot.

Action was quite good when I received it. I lowered it a little. Truss rod has to be adjusted if you change string gauges significantly, but this is all standard fare. Pickups are also great. It looks sexy. Flat out. Wood finish does not damage easily. Fingerprints show up under intense lighting conditions. Polishing when you change the string keeps it lookin' nice. As for playability goes, with the right strings (I use the thinnest possible) this bass is quite quick, and gets around rather nicely

- Alder body - Maple neck with light tint (satin urethane) - Rosewood fingerboard with 12" radius - 24 medium jumbo frets - 34" scale length - 1.5625" nut width - Chrome hardware - New design bridge with string-thru or top loading - Mexico Deluxe P Bass pickup (mid) - Noiseless Jazz Bass pickup (bridge) - Pickup blending pan pot - Master volume and 3-band active EQ controls - EQ with boost/cut of 100k for treble, mids, and bass. // 10