Geddy Lee Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

The type of music I play varies. Classic rock, modern rock, alt rock, southern rock and country are the styles I play. I play my Geddy through an Ampeg BA-115. Condidering my amp is only 100 watts with a 1x15", it cranks pretty good with the Geddy. I do get some noise but it has more to do with the piezo tweeter than the bass. I'm happy with the sound of the bass. I get good lows but the mids and highs come through good too. I played it through a Fender Bassman 250/210 combo and it sounded real good. Lot of low end punch. Favoring the neck pup can get you a deep, warm sound, something I use a lot of when playing some of the country tunes. Favor the bridge pup and really dig in for a strong solid punch. For the music I play, the Geddy has the capability of delivering all the sounds I need.

The Geddy Lee seems fit for all styles of music as far as I'm concerned. I use it for country, southern rock, alt rock, classic rock... whatever, I have no problems dialing it in. I started playing bass back in the '70's but I took a LONG break, about a 25 year break. The equipment available is unreal compared to what I had back then. I started playing again just about 14 or 15 months ago. For amplification I use an Ampeg BA-115 for now. Occasionally I'll use a DigiTech stomp pedal, not very often though. If someone stole this bass I'd get another one then I'd hunt the person down to get the stolen bass back, that way I'd have 2 of them. So yes, I'd be more than willing to get another Geddy Jazz. Overall, I love this bass. The finish is great and the black and maple looks very cool. The sound of it is just what I wanted. It will get all tones from deep and warm to nice mids and highs. I set out to get a Fender MIA Jazz. I played 2 or 3 of them along with a Precision. Then I played the Geddy. Of the 3 bass models I preferred the Geddy, not because of price but because of the sound and feel of it. I will admit I haven't tried the "new '08" Fenders, none were in stock. The MIA Jazz at the time had the S-1 switch which I didn't care for at all. If you want a nice bass with some warmth and plenty of growl I'd recommend the Geddy Lee Jazz. I love it. If you get a chance try one and see what you think.

The Geddy Lee seems to be well built, ready for gigging. I've had no problems with the strap buttons but then again I don't run around the stage and do cartwheels either. I have a Standard Jazz for a back up but I don't believe I'll need to use it as a back up at least not for lack of reliability from the Geddy.(maybe a broken string). The finish of the bass is nice. I wouldn't think it would show anymore wear than any other bass over time. Overall, I expect the bass to be both reliable and durable.

I bought the Geddy at a Guitar Center. It needed a "set up" because the action seemed to be too high. That was taken care of at the store I purchased it from. Everything looked fine on the bass. It's built solid and where the neck and body are affixed is a tight, perfect fit. The bridge? Nice, it's a BadassII, plenty of sustain. The only flaw as far as I'm concerned are the tuning pegs. The Vintage Style seem to have some slop to them. They hold the bass in tune but it would be nice if Fender would go to a better tuner as a stock feature.

My Geddy is an '06. As all Geddy models it has the black body with a white pick guard(which I'm planning on changing). The finished maple neck is nice, easy to move around on. Being thin makes the neck even better. Another nice feature is the Badass II bridge, great for sustain. It has passive electronics which I prefer and the pick ups seem to be strong, delivering a clear sound. Favoring the bridge pup gives you a good punch when digging in. The pups are Vintage Jazz Bass, single-coil. The only "weak" point I really noticed are the Vintage Style tuners. They tend to have a little "slop" to them. Once the bass is tuned the tuners hold well though. It would be nice to have better quality tuners as a stock feature. All in all I really like this bass.

MmmCesium
    MusicalMinority
    MmmCesium wrote: Finally, a signature bass of someone that deserves a signature bass... if I see one more Mike Dirnt or Pete Wentz-esque signature I'm going to shit somebody else's pants.
    Well, to be totally honest, the Dirnt bass wasn't bad. Cuts through mixes pretty well. A really good, solid sound. He was a pretty good bassist back in the day too... But around American Idiot, he started playing root note basslines. Ah well. Talent went to waste. Anyways, this sounds totally awesome. I'll have to try one out at Guitar Center sometime.
    closertofreewil
    synyster.punk wrote: geddy lee sounds like a chick in his songs
    I dont agree at all, sure his voice is high, but Rush wouldn't be Rush without his voice. I happen to find his voice amazing and suiting for the music. On topic: I've played the bass a lot at the guitar shop where i work and it is very nice. the neck is very smooth along with its tone. The badd ass bridge is very clean and smooth. I highly recommend this bass for the people who can afford it.
    jpk6044
    phillyguitar
    lol i totally agree
    guitarsolo_17
    tasty licks
    TDAJGuitarist wrote: Artisan_Bassist wrote: It is true what the Fat Bass Man says...I too have this bass (main bass for shows) and it is truly amazing. It rivals, if not surpasses, the MusicMan Stingray. Music man is Garbage....
    [quote] Garbage with a capital G huh? Well I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion... except for you. You're an idiot.
    stevo_92
    David_Bowie=GOD wrote: Canada for the most part, sucks, but they gave us Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart, and Geddy Lee of course. Which in turn gave us this great bass. Plays many different types of music, the neck is the most comfortable of any bass ive ever played and its a few hundred dollars cheaper than a ernie ball bass.. buy one if you got the money!
    arrogant americans...
    foob85
    BBradyo wrote: the magic is when you see him in concert alternating between bass and synthesizer while keeping the vocals solid
    Oh yeah. I saw them live last year and it was the best show I've ever seen. Better than Van Halen, to be honest. And Geddy will kick your ass at bass any day. :]
    TDAJGuitarist
    Music man is Garbage....
    -Rock-N'-Roll-
    scottishbass123 wrote: i agree with synyster.punk
    scottishbass123 wrote: i agree with synyster.punk
    Lick..my..sack!
    led_zep_00
    Geddy's current bass sound is horrible, the best sound he ever had was on Signals with the Ric.
    jpk6044
    guitarsolo_17 wrote: jpk6044 wrote: Geddy is great. But the greatest electric bassist of all time is Jaco Pastorius. Plays things the others just can't. Too bad he's dead. Check this out:
    My personal favorites (after Jaco) - all of them can be found on YouTube: 1. Chris Squire 2. Victor Wooten 3. Stanley Clarke 4. Tetsuo Sakurai 5. Geddy Lee 6. Les Claypool 7. Flea 8. Tony Levin 9. Greg Lake 10. John Myung Jaco is great i agree.....but i wouldn't put him above Vic...or ....i know there's someone i'm forgettin that's not on here...w/e....he kicks
    Wooten, Sakurai and Clarke are probably the three best technical players on the earth today. I love Chris Squire because he plays such a non-conforming, soloist style in a rock band - he doesn't just keep the beat or have occasional riffs. He plays it like a lead instrument. Geddy - who I am a huge fan of - has called him one of his biggest influences from a rock standpoint. But Jaco is a combination of all three on crystal meth.
    tasty licks
    My roommate has this w/ flatwounds. Played it quite a few times. The action is super low, its truly a pleasure to play, and it sounds good. It's really a great value, and unmatched in playability, but honestly though I don't get why everyone creams themselves SO much over it. The tone is good, but ultimately unremarkable. I guess it's just a matter of taste. He's into pretty muted tones and low end (and this is the perfect bass for that) whereas I'm into more aggressive, active funk tones like a Stingray or the like. IMO, you could always crank down the tone knob and sound more like this, but you can never add tone and definition in the mid-high end that the bass doesn't have to begin with. Ideally I'd have enough money for a massive collection of guitars and basses for every style or mood you're into at the time, but if I played bass consistently and could only afford one, I'd go with something else. Thats not to say that this one wouldn't be in the top 5 or even maybe top 3. It's DEFINITELY a better buy than the worse American standard Jazz, and half the price. ps- I like how practically none of the comments pertain to the equipment being reviewed as usual. lol
    guitarsolo_17
    k i'm gonna have to say, when it comes to durability section,.....tank may be the most overused word on U-G
    Chris B
    Jericho114 wrote: Canada for the most part, sucks David Bowie for the most part sucks.
    lol wth
    grnday1236
    ironmaidenrulez wrote: look, i no geddy lee is the bass player for rush, but does ne1 else?
    DUDE HE'S MY FREAKING HERO! and yes, excellent bass
    Shread_6009
    greatest canadian bassist, greatest canadian band (rush), YAY canada!!! im not even a bassist, but thats an awesome bass. wish it had more frets though
    lilboisX3
    Multiplayerjon wrote: dammit... i am a guitarist and my brother sucks More than i do at it and this looks like a guitar for me Two reasons why i can't buy it: 1. My Local Shop sucks (Not really though) 2. Money 3. money 4. $ 5. I am not really a bassist. i am a guitarist. i teach people though. not really though
    lol wut?
    aeirom1
    You know, finally someone who sees the light! half of the "rockers" in the world are pop-punkers who can play 3 power chords for the whole song!
    aeirom1
    geddy lee is on of the most talented bassists in the world today, and this bass is beautiful. plays awesome, great sound. get it, its totally worth the 800 bucks. RUSH 4E!
    David_Bowie=GOD
    Multiplayerjon
    AdamOnDrums
    I dont see whats all that hubub is about but isn't this just the normal jazzbass with a few changes? But im lucky to have a one of theese (not the signature) and it rocks. And geddy lee is nice