Geddy Lee Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

The Geddy can be used for many styles of music. I play southern rock, classic and modern country, classic rock, r&b, modern rock, a lot of styles. By "dialing" in the controls I get the sound I want for each style. I play the bass through a Fender Bassman 250/2100 amp and I use a DigiTech Synth-Wah at times. It makes some good sounds through the effects pedal, sometimes some eerie sounds, I like it. I get no fret buzzing or excessive noise from the pick ups.

I play different types of music, rock, classic rock, alt rock, southern rock, country, R&B. The Geddy is suitable for all they types of music and does a good job. Just dial in the controls of the bass and amp and it's very versatile. Years ago I played music, back in the '70s (yes, I'm old). I just recently started playing again about 14 months ago. I have a Fender Geddy Lee jazz, Fender Standard Jazz (MIM), Ibanez BTB400QM and I use a Fender Bassman 250/210 amp. If this bass were stolen or lost I think I would have to get another. I tried numerous basses including the American series before I bought the Geddy and the Geddy came out ahead in my book. Now the Fender '08s weren't out at the time so I'm excluding them as a choice, never tried them, so I can't have an opinion. The only thing I'd like to see different on the Geddy are the tuners. I explained why earlier. Other than that I'm happy as hell with it. I hope this reviews helps you out some. Try a Geddy and see if you like the sound and feel of it.

I don't play gigs at the time but I imagine that it would withstand Live play. I've had no problems with it so far and I play it a lot. The hardware should hold up although I would like to replace the tuners sometime maybe with some Gotoh's or Hipshots. I wouldn't think a back up would be needed when using this bass unless you keep one around in case of a broken string, that way you wouldn't need to take a time out to replace strings. The finish of the bass is nice. It's like any other finishes Fender puts out except for the Highway One series. It should last fine.

The action was a little high when I got it. I played 3 different Geddy's and the action on all of them were high from the factory. After a set up the action was just fine, allowing for good finger movement and good sound. The pickups were just fine, no adjustments needed. The finish of the bass was flawless. Nice paint on the body, the neck looked and felt great. The only negative I have for the Geddy is the tuners. To me they feel too loose, sloppy. Once the bass is in tune it pretty well stays there, it's just that the tuners feel "wobbly" compared to others, kind of like the MIM basses.

My Geddy is a 2007 model made in Japan. The finished maple neck is a custom neck from Fender and is super fast. The neck is smooth and thin, easy to move on. It has big black blocks for the fret inlays which look really cool against the light colored maple fretboard. The alder body is black with a white pick guard. I put a black pick guard on mine which makes it look nice. It has the classic "jazz" body style with 2 U.S. Vintage jazz pick ups. The pu's are passive which I prefer personally. It has 3 knob controls, one for the neck pu, one for the bridge pu, and the 3rd knob for tone. The tuners are Vintage Fender style, non-locking.

Mjr. Elric
    jpk6044 wrote: Geddy is great. But the greatest electric bassist of all time is Jaco Pastorius. Plays things the others just can't. Too bad he's dead. Check this out:
    My personal favorites (after Jaco) - all of them can be found on YouTube: 1. Chris Squire 2. Victor Wooten 3. Stanley Clarke 4. Tetsuo Sakurai 5. Geddy Lee 6. Les Claypool 7. Flea 8. Tony Levin 9. Greg Lake 10. John Myung
    You are perhaps the most idiotic person that I have ever run into you have the gall to make a list of the greatest bassists "of all time" and you fail to mention John Entwistle Do you self a favor listen to the bass solo in "My Generation" by The Who and then re evaluate the meaning of bassist and Bass Guitarists
    Glam-Hammer
    Geddy Lee is awesome. I think its hilarious alot of people moan at his voice yet will openly listen to black metal bullshit where its just grunting like a ****. -- I'm not a bass player but pretty cool he has his own signature now
    accordiancole
    lol, I don't get why people complain about Geddd's voice, he just has a high tone, he's not singing that high notes really. No one can deny that Geddy is an incredible preformer with some serious talents! THIS BASS ROCKS!!! i may be picking one up in a week or two!
    dsmo
    I bought my GL J-bass in Orlando with hardshell for less than $700; you'll never find such quality -made in JPN- for such a low price. The more I play the more I love it, I have an Ampeg 115T tube driven combo, and I can get sweet low-end tones, punchy mids and screaming highs, ahh and the Jaco-like tone is too cool!! I setup the bridge pu at max, the neck pu off and the tone completely to low, and its so punchy that the Ampeg tweeter sometimes suffer... beautiful piece of guitarr!!! the neck oohhhh is so easy to play. The attack was very bold and bit noisy (since I' kinda tough when inspired), therefore I adjusted the bridge a bit higher and now I can rock it hard with excquisite tones. I wanted a Rick but they are so expensive, the GL J-B can provide you with simmilar playability and tone at 1/3 of the Rick price. I love it!!! the best purchase I've ever made.
    Anjohl
    *Flame shield* I actually found that the bass had a pretty weak tone.
    the_underling
    On that John Entwistle note, perhaps you'd like to consider that the bass community owes roundwound strings to the Ox. Without him, we'd still be stuck at thud thud, no punchy Geddy Lee tones for us all... Vis a Vis the GLJ and the '08 American Standards: the GLJ has a much faster neck, and hence is better for those who like to shred, but I reckon that the ASJ has a better tone due to its mass and through body stringing. It also has nice 'non-slop' tuners. However, that said, the ASJ weighs in at 1,000 sterling, versus circa 700 for the GLJ, and that's enough money spare for a pre-amp for the GLJ. A nice J East, Mike Pope or Audere preamp at that. Coupled with the beautiful neck, Id take the GLJ every time.