Geddy Lee Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Purchased from: PMT Music

This bass has an amazing sound, I've played almost every type of music imaginable with this and although in some area's it performs better (I've found to be Soul, Funk and Alt Rock)it can handle almost anything including heavy metal with the right EQ settings. It has a bright punchy tone with the bridge pup solo'd and with the neck pup you can get a bit more of a flatter tone as opposed to the bridge, a combination the two works really well. I'm currently running this through a Fender 100W rumble with an MXR Envelope filter and Boss Overdrive Pedal and it sounds fantastic. The overdrive doesn't come out muddy and horribly distorted which is a problem i've had with some basses. The pickups are generally quite quiet although I have gotten some buzz with the Bridge pup solo'd. Only downside is that it is passive so some tones may not be exactly how you want them.

Overall i think i'm in love! It fits what I play perfectly (classic rock) as well as anything else I might delve into at home. I much prefer this to my Yamaha RBX375 or my MM stingray. It felt nicer, the thin c shape neck really helps me play faster more complicated riffs and the neck's finish jsut makes everything so goddamn smooth! I have no regrets buying this beauty! If it were stolen I might cry and then go on a rampage and murder whoever stole it, I just love it that much! :D But yes, I would buy it again, great bass for a fantastic price (Around 850 new) and in my experiance better than the more expensive american made Jazz's. I wouldn't of minded to have a P-Bass pup in the neck position, but hey, theres plenty other basses for that!

I've played 2 gigs so far with it and yes, it does withstand live playing. It's been sweated on, accidentally pushed off stands, swung round my shoulders (Don't ask!) and it still seems like brand new!(for a 2nd hand ;]) The hardware is in great condition, good quality soldering. All the little features are held on tight, the strap buttons haven't shown any signs of wear and a quick fly-through of the inside electronics shows it to be pretty ship shape as said. I would gladly gig without a backup with this bass, it's reliable and very durable. The finish is of very good quality, especially the neck, it's so far been somewhat resistant to sweat and so far shows no signs of aging.

I purchased it second hand so I can't really comment on factory settings but it's been in-store for a while and hasn't had a set-up in a while, and although I plan to get a proffesional one in the next month or so the intonation is perfect, the action is nice and low and the pick-ups seem to be adjusted perfectly for that staple Jazz Bass tone.

This is a Japanese made Fender Geddy Lee Sig Jazz bass, Unsure of the date possibly early 2000's. It has 20 Med Jumbo frets, Alder body, maple C shape neck and fretboard with a nice smooth gloss urethane finish and retro looking block inlays. Mine is the black version although a 3-colour sunburst is also available. It's bridge is a nice Badass II, tuners are Vintage '70s Fender stamped open gear tuners and the nut is made from synthetic bone. It comes with your standard passive J-Bass electronics. 2 Volume knobs for each Vintage Fender single-coil pup and a master tone control. I bleive these have a deluxe gig-bag with them but I purchased mine second hand without it.

MR.Shamanistica
    Anjohl wrote: *Flame shield* I actually found that the bass had a pretty weak tone.
    It's gonna have some value of 'weakness' to it, it is passive after all.
    MJPAYNE
    I have a Geddy Lee bass that was built in May of 2009. It is a Japanese model. The craftsmanship is excellent. Just as good as an American. IT IS a tank! I am a jazz bass enthusiast. I have an American Jazz, a Precision/Jazz Special and now the Geddy bass. Plays great, excellent tones and bottom ends. A well crafted machine for the working musician. I have been playing for 26 years and I have gone through many basses (like a dork) but I can finally put a stop on that with this bass. Cheers - www.ragefocus.com