Geddy Lee Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

These basses sound fantastic! I use them in the context of a classic/progressive rock band, but, really they are just great sounding Jazz Basses that would work well in most musical situations. I use them with a Boss GT-6B, and run directly to the P.A. for front of house and In Ear Monitor system for the band, and they sound great... Very full sound, but with more than enough brightness/snap to cut through. The one with the DiMarzio pickups sounds slightly more scooped in the midrange, and the output is a bit hotter, but, apart from that, they sound quite similar.

I have been playing for over 30 years and have own or have owned basses from Fender, Rickenbacker, F-Bass, Carvin, G&L, Kawai, etc... , and way too many guitars to list. I think the Geddy Lee Jazz Basses can hold their own with pretty much anything that sounds "vintage" in nature. I feel that this model is one of the best values in the Fender line. Although I use these basses in a Rush Tribute Band, I really think that they are just great sounding Jazz Basses that are versatile enough to sound great in many different contexts.

Even though I would not play live without a backup, I don't think I will ever need one. Fender instruments are very solid and have been used by many players for many years... I don't expect these will be any different. Appears as though it will be very reliable for a long time.

Although I cannot comment on the factory setups, as both were purchased used, I have been able to set them up so that they play and feel great for me. Nut and fretwork are very good and the bridges are solid and very adjustable. Personally, I prefer the action to be a little higher than it needs to be, as I tend to play pretty aggressively, but I'm sure that they could be set quite low, if that was wanted.

I have two of these instruments, both of which I purchased used; one was made between 2002-2004, and was modified with a pair of DiMarzio J Bass DP123 pickups, a master volume, blend pot, and a master tone control, and a black pickguard by the previous owner, and one made between 2006-2008, that was/is completely stock. Both instruments have all of the standard Geddy Lee Jazz Bass features as far as build goes; alder body, maple neck/fingerboard with black blocks, etc... The only thing I think should be different is the gig bag the basses come with... Should really be a hard case... Other than that, these basses are perfect for me.

mrkeithrichard
    Just bought a used GL and after a slight neck adjustment (that was a bit of a pain) it plays scary good....The strings are almost laying flat on the frets...amazing. Took off the pickguard and now it looks badass...btw, if you have one of these, get a Sansamp Bass Driver..you won't beieve the punch it gives you..
    wrg31968
    I just ordered one of these from zzounds in the 3 tone sunburst color. But I have to ask on the above posts for best bassists..Where is Billy Sheehan? What about Steve Harris? Can't disagree with anyone on the lists, but these two should have been added.