Highway 1 Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Highway 1 Jazz Bass

This bass will play any style needed. I play several different styles including punk, metal, rock, blues, country, and contemporary gospel. Plugged directly into my Ampeg B2R amp and Ampeg 410LHF cab, it can sound as mellow as a stand-up bass, or rumble like thunder. You can dial in a "slap yo' momma" bright sound, or hang with a local AC/DC copy band. The sound can change to fit the mood or the style.

The Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass is a perfect match for my varied tastes in music styles. I've been playing bass for close to 30 years. It's easy for me to understand why the Fender Jazz is the industry standard for bass guitars. They simply pawn the rest. A Bad Ass II bridge would be a nice upgrade.

This bass was designed for playing live. Although the Jazz Bass is not light, it is very well balanced. This will be my fourth Fender Jazz Bass. I have never had a bass related equipment failure. I use Shaller strap locks. I did have to re-glue the strap button holes. And I lost a saddle adjustment screw from the bridge, but found it on the stage, a week later.

This bass was very well constructed. It played very nice, right off the rack. As far as the setup, the music store I purchased from did a pro setup, including neck, attinuation, and pickup adjustments.

Mine was built in 2003, made in usa. It has the standard Jazz set-up, alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, with 20 med/jumbo frets. The hardware is chrome the tuners are Fender stamped, the bridge is Fender Vintage style, and the pickups are Fender Alnico(passive). The chrome control panel has 2 volumes, and 1 tone. It has a satin lacquer finish in 3-color Sunburst. I have removed the white pickguard from mine, 'cause I like the look.