Mark Hoppus Bass review by Fender

Fender: Mark Hoppus Bass

I play all styles of bass and I am easily able to use this bass for all except slap bass. The Sansamp I use really helps bring out the punch of the pickups. I have never had a buzz problem with this bass at all. The quater pound pickups give it such a punchy sound. With the right strings and a decent amp you get a sound unlike anything. The attack is just amazing. If you really want to stand out Live this is the way to do it. I get so many compliments on the sound of this bass. And though I have an amazing setup of effects and amp rig, I know most of it is due to the bass itself. I also must say that this bass is amazing for recording. The difference I have heared to what I was using is insanely amazing. I usually used a Fender active Jazz which was amazing in itself. But the Hoppus Bass has this extra punch while still having the growl of a Jazz bass. All you need is this bass and a sansamp and your good to go.

I must say I am very satisfied with this bass. Out of all the fenders I own this is by far my favorite. I usually used my five string as my main bass but I love the sound of this gem. Everything from the finish to the amazing sound just makes me realize that this was indeed one of my better musical instrumental purchases. I wouldn't say I would by another cause that would be stupid to own two of the same model but if it was damaged or broken, I would deff by a new one in a heartbeat. If you really want a Fender with an amazing sound this is the way to go. You get the P Bass neck with the jazz bass body. You can't go wrong. Pick one up and get a sound unlike anything any other bass can produce.

This is amazing to play Live with. Fender really did well with this bass. You don't need a backup at all. Mark isn't the best bassist in the world but he knows sound. And he really hit the nail on the head comming up with the jazz body with P Bass neck design. The colors look amazing under stage lights. I get compliments on it all of the time. I usually put strap locks on every bass I own, but I didn't on this one cause I'm cautious on stage with it. The buttons are tight on it, and if you get a really nice strap with great leather bottoms you'll be set. As far as staying tuned, it rarely needs to be retuned. The string through body keeps it in tune and really adds to the sustain. My only complaint which is no big deal, is the location of the input. It looks nice but because I move a lot on stage and lift the bass a lot I always put the cable through the strap then in the input. But since it's on the pickgaurd it dosn't work well so I just have to leave it dangling. Which I won't have to worry about soon when I get a new wireless system.

The guitar was good to go from the factory. I did have a bone nut put into it since I love the sustain boost if gives any stringed instrument. The finish was amazing. It is so smooth and really shines. The neck is very very nice. Easy to play, especialy for bassists that sweep. I did adjust the action to my standards but it was fine from the factory. I just have to set mine since I play in drop A for one of my bands. And drop C for the other. So if your wondering if this holds it own for heavier bands, that should pretty much answer your question. Make sure you put it in a case. Not that it isn't durable, it's just that it is way to nice of a bass to be treated like crap.

Mine is a 2002 Mexican made Bass. It has 20 Jumbo frets. The neck is a maple P Bass style neck with the C shape. It has a rosewood fretboard which is really easy to play on. I had a polished bone nut put in mine which gave it a lot more sustain. The finish on mine is the Daphne Blue which looks amazing both on and off stage. The body is a big jazz bass style with a mother of pearl pickgaurd that really brings the color out and draws attention. It only has one volume knob and no tone knob. Now some complain about that but I bet 90% of them haven't even played it. It has a great tone built into it. If you want a different sound use your amp of do what I do and pair it with a Sansamp Bass Driver. The Quater pound pickups are amazing. So much punch, it's unlike and jazz bass. The tuners are stander machine tuners but they do the job. The big plus is the string through body which is rare on a mexican made bass.

himynameiswill
    i think this bass would be amazing for the one style, i wouldnt advise it for slapping/popping ha, but i wouldn't mind getting one, it seems like a really nice bass.