Mark Hoppus Bass review by Fender

Fender: Mark Hoppus Bass

The sound is really rich and fat, the Seymour Duncan pickup is the loudest I've ever heard on a passive bass guitar. I play rock and punk music and this bass really suits it. I play it through and Ashdown 100W amp and can EQ it to find a really punchy, trebley sound, but still maintain a deep, rattling low-end with fat bouncy midranges. Brilliant sound, ideal for playing live also.

I've been playing bass since I was 14, so that's 7 years and this is definitely the best I've owned and it's up there with the best I've ever played. The sound is bang-on for how I like my bass to sound, punchy with a loud high-end but a loud and crisp enough bottom end to cut through guitar, drums and vocals in a live situation. I've heard complaints such as "it really lacks a tone knob," but people know this when they're buying it, and there's an easy way round not having a tone knob: USE THE EQ ON YOUR AMP!! I'm a real perfectionist when it comes to finding an ideal tone when I'm practising or gigging but this one doesn't take much work, it almost immediately suited my dream sound. If it was stolen would I buy another one? If money wasn't an issue I'd buy another immediately, but these basses aren't the cheapest Fenders on the market. I really love the shape and style of this bass, I like the P-Bass pickups on the Jazz-style body, and of course I love the loud punk rock sound this bass provides. Is there anything I wish it had? The only thing I wish it had was the hot pink paint colour that Mark Hoppus has on his main bass - that one is my all time dream bass guitar! Hope this review helped. If you're thinking of buying one of these, do it, it's a brilliant bass guitar and I love playing it. Cheers, Andy

I've heard some people complain about how heavy this bass is, but after playing an Epiphone Thunderbird for so long, this bass seems quite light compared to it really! This bass feels seriously heavy-duty though, it's difficult to explain but if you hold this bass and check it out, you'll know what I mean; it just feels very very solid. I always put screw-in strap locks on my guitars so I can't really comment on the strap buttons. I rarely take back-up bass guitars to gigs with me because it means a taking lots of equipment but this bass certainly wouldn't need a back-up, its a good strong bass.

The guitar was set up perfectly when it arrived, it wasn't tuned but that wasn't a problem of course. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, exactly the way P-Bass pickups should be. The finish on this guitar is Daphne Blue, it is perfect and I really like the perloid pickguard, some people might not really like bright bass guitars but it's certainly eye-catching. I also love the through-body stringing system, its better than just having a standard bridge on it.

Mexican made with 20 jumbo frets, this bass has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The pickup is of the Seymour Duncan SPB-3 variety, it is a single-coil split pickup. This bass has no tone knob, only volume. The bass has a jazz bass body, Precision bass neck and of course the Precision bass pickup.