Mike Dirnt Precision Bass review by Fender

Fender: Mike Dirnt Precision Bass

Purchased from: eBay

I am not sure when the bass was made but the only original aspect of it is the body and neck. I stripped off the original colour (black) and refinished it in amber with layers of gloss lacquer. All hardware is genuine period Fender and has 3 volume controls and 1 tone control. It has '70s Precision tuners and standard passive Fender pickups. Fender Noiseless Jazz for the neck and bridge and Precision pickup in the standard configuration. I have spent £300 on parts on top of the £200 paid for the guitar.

We are a covers band playing music from the 50s up to present day. I use a Peavey Mark V111 XP-Series amp top with coupled with a Peavey bass cab with a 15" Black Widow speaker. I use a rich full sound with plenty of low down, but of course it all depends on the number being played. I have customised it and added two Jazz bass pickups above and below the Precision pickup. It has a great variety of sounds. I don't use effects as such other than a Behringer foot pedal. This bass has a wide variety of sounds which is needed to cover the diverse range of music the band cover, so I need sound ranging from a double bass to bass sounds throughout the various eras from '50s, '60s, '70s, etc.

I have carried out all the mods myself including adding all new Fender parts other than the '70s tuners and Precision pickup which is '60s made. Everything works and plays as it should and is my favourite bass. I have set up the bass myself as most of the parts were new including the bridge and Fender Noiseless pickups. The original parts were in average condition but as these have now been replaced the sound is infinitely better. The bridge and pickups have been properly set up to give the optimum playing and sound experience.

It's well suited for live playing and is built to last. I have ensured everything is assembled to a high degree and use genuine Fender lock-straps. I would use this without a backup but I would always take along my Musicman Stingray which again I have customised. The finish is all done by hand using brushes and I believe it will last for a long time as I used good quality finishes and applied care and patience when finishing the bass. All the hardware is genuine Fender gear so I would expect it to last a lifetime. I use good quality locking strap buttons.

I play music from the '50s up to the present time and the Fender can meet the demands of all the music we play. I have been playing for about 50 years. There is no one I would have consulted before buying this bass as I have owned Fenders in the past so am familiar with them. I also own a Musicman Stingray, a 5-string Yamaha and a 6-string custom bass which is awesome. If my Fender was lost or stolen I would buy another and do a similar customising job. If I spent two grand on a Fender Precision I would still carry out a similar customising job.