Modern Player Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Modern Player Jazz Bass

Purchased from: Andertons, Guildford

When I plugged it into my Laney RB3, I didn't know what to expect, I've never played or owned a Fender before. When I did it gave me a rich, deep sound that I couldn't get with any of the other basses. I thought it might have been the strings so I tested some super Slinkys and it still gave me the same kind of sound. If you turn up the tone knob to full it gives you a real sharp tone which is brilliant for slap bass, or all the way down for FAT lows. Brilliant sound altogether!

I play I wide range of different music, mostly stuff from RHCP, RATM and Muse. I've been played bass for just over 2 years now and will be using this bass for ages, its a massive upgrade from my Squier MOD 70's Jazz. If this bass was stolen I would probably buy this bass again or a MusicMan, pretty hard to decide. Overall its an amazing bass for the price and now I can officially say I've owned a Fender.

I've used this bass for a gig once and its my main bass, I use it all the time for band practice and for practicing at home. Everything about it seems like it would last forever and I would defiantly rely on it without bringing a back up and with a thick layer of gloss it doesn't look like the paint will wear off anytime soon.

I changed the strings straight away, when I did I didn't need to adjust the action, it was pretty much perfect. However I did adjust the pickups to my liking. The was is really solid, nothing was loose or needed fixing. And after owning it for a few months now, the jack input hasn't come loose or started moving about. Everything fitted perfectly, no flaws that I couldn't point out much that's wrong with it.

The Modern Player series was introduced in October 2011, as an affordable 'First Fender'. The body of the bass is made of Alder, with a rosewood fingerboard. This bass include a real 'retro' bridge with brass saddles. Its has two volume knobs and one tone. Its a passive bass with two dual jazz bass pickups (Humbuckers). The bass come with Fender strings, medium gauge, but I swapped them straight away with Ernie Ball Power Slinkys. No accessories came with it.

DoodlySquat
    JB95 wrote: The was is really solid Wat
    You've never heard of the . Everybody has very solid these days.
    Jordanelpaco
    ive played both types of these depends what your looking for this reminded me of a musicman im sure it was to do with the pickups and the squier vm jazz is litereally the closest thing you'll get to a fender jazz without paying the load of cash. i prefared the squier cause it had such a fast maple neck on it but thats just my opinion. but dont pick this just cause its name!
    Wolfene
    BenGriffiths
    Get the fender i have the squier and the fender beats it by miles
    MaggaraMarine
    BenGriffiths wrote: Wolfene wrote: Just wondering if I should get this or is a Squier vintage modified jazz bass good enough? Get the fender i have the squier and the fender beats it by miles
    There are many different Fenders and Squiers. These Fenders are made in China so they might come from the same factory as some Squier guitars. Though I don't think it really matters, I think they use more quality parts on these Fenders.