Standard Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Jazz Bass

This suits my music style perfectly! I like a smooth and jazzy bass. Not really into the raspy metal basses. I am using a 55 lb. tube amp. Not using any effects, just the thick sound that I need. There is a good boom to it when its plugged in, a very rich brisk sound. The guitar can range from jazz (due to its name), all the way to bright sticato sounding. Mainly depends on the type of amp.

I definitely bought this specific bass for jazz, hence the name (Fender "Jazz" Bass), the match is phenominal. I have been playing for about 5 years now, I own a Penvey Patriot electric guitar, Inidiana acoustic guitar, lefty classical, Fender Jazz Bass, and an Ibanez thin neck. If I would have asked something it would have been what is a good price to sell it at if I were to ever sell it. I would have gotten it again or another jazz bass type. Being able to play without any trouble of a string breaking on the beautiful neck. I don't really like the feature of two volume nobs. I never can get the perfect sound. I love the simplicity of the electronic hardware inside the beast. I can always fix a problem no matter how small/big the size. I looked around for a while at Penveys, Ibanezs, etc, but nothing seemed as satisfying as this bass. I chose this particular bass because of the selected sound and tone it makes. I definitely wish it had a wamy bar, but not many bass's have them!

Most definitely, nothing should create problems for a live concert. The hardware is durable for many many yeras of use. The strap hasn't collapsed on me ever. I worry about some of the things I do with the strap coming off, but never does it disconnect. I always have a backup but I wouldn't worry if there wasn't any backup. I have had it for well over 4 years now but like any guitar (bass), it will wear down, conditions are still high though.

Not sure really how it was manufactured, but it must have been put together with care for the sleek and light weight body. the pickups really set the mood of the bass and can make or break it. The top is mostly flat and shines due to the sleek surface. The bridge is all silver, good grip. There were a couple of small scratches but nothing damaging.

First introduced in 1960 as the "Deluxe Model", it was renamed the Jazz Bass as Fender felt that its redesigned neck, narrower and more rounded than that of the Precision Bass, would appeal more to jazz musicians. The Jazz Bass has two bipolar "Jazz" pickups. As well as having a slightly different, less symmetrical and more contoured body shape (known in Fender advertising as the "offset waist contour" body), the Jazz Bass neck is noticeably narrower towards the nut than that of the more common Fender Precision Bass. The original intention was to make it easier for upright-bass players to make the switch to electric bass. It has three control knobs (instead of the two of the Fender Precision Bass), two of them controlling the volume of the two pickups and one for the overall tone. A fourth, push button control is available on some models of Jazz Bass produced after mid-2003. Known as the "S-1 Switch" this feature allows the pickups to operate in standard, parallel wiring, or alternatively in series wiring when the switch is depressed. While in series, both pickups function as a single unit with one volume control, giving the Jazz Bass a sound similar to the Precision Bass. Design Features. Some "Deluxe" Jazz Bass models have been produced which feature active pickups rather than the traditional passive ones. In place of the usual single passive tone-rolloff control, these models have three separate equaliser controls: bass and treble response are controlled by the base and top, respectively, of a stacked double panpot, while midrange is controlled by a second panpot. The Jazz Bass has a warm, fat, funky sound, without as much high-end punch as the Precision. This makes it ideal for finger-style players (bassists who pluck the strings with their fingers rather than using a pick), and the sound of the fretless Jazz Bass became a classic of jazz fusion music thanks to famous bassist Jaco Pastorius. It also became a classic in the hands of bassists such as John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, Noel Redding, John Entwistle (in the 1960s) and Geddy Lee of Rush, to name but a few. Vintage examples from the 1960s and 1970s are now highly coveted and fetch four and five-figure sums, when they can be located, and the new models remain a popular choice today of Rock, Jazz, and Fusion musicians.

snakeyes9510
    Im getting a Fender Jazz Bass in a few weeks. Comming from eBay from a good friend. Can't wait to pimp it out either with the bridge/pickup covers and a pearliod pickguard!
    ApplesforAndrew
    I may write a review soon. I just recently got Fender Jazz Bass. I love its sound and the slimmer neck makes it easier to change notes. Its looks great too. The finish is a Cherry Sunburst.
    Nodding Donkey
    Great reviews, although I disagree with the statement "buying on line is a no no". I purchased a Jazz Bass on-line (from GAK). Tried it in my local store first, then saved myself over 100 buying on-line, and the set up was fine.
    scottishbass123
    mmmm...I want this bass but I like to play fast but also be heard over the guitar, somtimes, what do I do?