Standard Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Jazz Bass

I play different types of music ranging from modern rock to old time country. By using the controls on the bass and the controls on my Ampeg BA-115 I can get just about any sound I want from the bass. I play with acoustic and electric players. When I play with the guys with their acoustics I set the amp on about 2-3 and control the volume with my bass. The bass will cut through the electric guitars good too. If I need more punch I just dial in the bridge pup and it cuts. The neck pup gives a deep, warm sound and at times eerie, kind of cool. Favor the bridge and you can dig in and get some punch and growl.

Overall I like this bass a lot. I play different styles of music, rock, classic rock, alt rock, southern rock and country but the bass serves it's purpose playing all. I just started playing bass about 14 months ago after a 25 year lay-off. The equipment has changed a lot so I'm still learning about the new stuff. But I am satisfied with the Standard Jazz and wouldn't hesitate on getting another if something happened to it. I like the feel and sound or the bass, pluses. The negative is tuners. I'd recommend the Fender Standard Jazz to others, whether playing at home or gigging. Try it out and see what you think.

Considering it has lasted 16 years I'd say it's both reliable and durable. I wouldn't think twice about gigging, it will take the abuse. The paint is still on it so I'd say the finish is good. Just change the tuners, too much slop. How many times do I have to mention this?

I got the bass used so it needed some work. I had a set up done on it because the action needed lowered. All it needed was a little crank on the truss rod and some adjustments on the bridge saddles. Like I said before, the only thing I didn't like is the tuners. The Vintage tuners are sloppy. The bass is put together good though, seems very solid.

My Standard Jazz is a '92, MIM. It has 20 frets and a rosewood fretboard on a nice, slim jazz neck. Mine is an arctic white with a white pick guard and for a 16 year old bass the finish has held up good. The bass has 3 control knobs. One is for the volume of the neck pup, one for the bridge pup, and the third being for tone. The Standard is passive, which is what I prefer. The pups are old but they have plenty of punch in them. Standard J-bass pick ups are used on it.One thing I do not like about the bass is the tuners sloppy. Vintage Style tuners have too much slop in them so I replaced them with Schallers. The stock tuners do hold the bass in tune though, they just feel cheap.