Standard Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Jazz Bass

I play mostly blues with some classic rock interspersed and the jazz really caters to this type of music. I play this through a Fender Bassman 250 which gives a nice fat sound. I am not looking for a lot of high end or trebly/clanky tone(I have a '78 Rick 001 for that) I was looking for a straight ahead blues bass to form a real workingmans rhythym section.

Once again, I love the warm tone it lends to blues music and find myself using it as my main axe quite often. I have been playing for 25 plus years, almost exclusively Rickenbacker, but that sound doesn't lend itself to blues. If it were stolen I would buy another without hesitation. I love the thin unlacquered neck for ease of movement. I have large hands, but it is still a welcome relief.

With care, I hope this bass will provide me with many years of Live playing. The only weak point I see is the bridge which could use an upgrade. You could probably use it without a backup, but I don't leave anything to chance. I am sure you could dump hundreds into upgrading pickups, bridge, and tuners, but what is the point? The reason people buy this model is price and it delivers based on that.

I played a few MIM Fender Jazz basses and found some subtle and not to subtle differences. I bought the Midnight Wine version which really is a beautiful color and like a past review said, must be seen up close to be appreciated. The pickups needed a slight tweak for height, but everything else was good to go. GC tech tuned it and checked intonation and it was dead on for the latter.This bass was a demo, yet the finish was flawless. The neck fit and pickguard alignment were perfect. There is a small indentation on the neck itself close to the pocket which may have been caused by clamping at the factory. Minor stuff to be expected for the price.

Brand New MIM Fender jazz with 20 frets, alder body and maple neck with rosewood laminated over it. It has passive electronics with two volume and a single tone control. Has the two standard jazz pickups and stock tuners. Came with a Fender gig bag that seems decent enough.

thewhorock
    pie_man_25 wrote: nikk axx wrote: Oh and to end the discussion on Steve Harris or Cliff Burton...the answer is Jaco Pastorious....If you haven't heard of him then you both have a lot to learn. all of you guys are wrong it's definitely John Entwhistle
    Chris Squire /debate