Standard Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Jazz Bass

Purchased from: GAK

The Jazz Bass, as always, has a brilliant smooth sound with the neck pickup. With the bridge pickup soloed, you get a more treble sound. Mixing them together with about 80% Neck and 20% Bridge gives a rather nice sound. I use my bass for many styles of music, and it fits in perfectly, both sound, volume and tone. The new finish neck also gives easy smooth slides, for those Who wish to 'jazz it up' Teamed up with my Ashdown Blue 180 12" combo, and a DigiTech Bass Multi Chorus Stomp Box, it provides excelant versitality.

The Music I play is mainly covers, of artists like Kate Nash, and The Feeling. However, away from the band, I play lots of different artists, like Elvis Costello, The Jam, and The Clash. I've been playing for nearly 4 years, and started on a Squier Bronco Bass (I only have small hands), and a Fender Rumble 15 Combo. Scince then I've collected a Squier Precision Special (with both P-Bass and J-Bass pickups, and a J-Bass neck). As I mentioned above, I have an Ashdown Bass Combo as my amp. If this bass was stolen, I would certainly re-purchase it. it's a fantastic bass with all the power you need to play those licks loud and clear. I love practically everthing about this bass. The only one point I can come come across that is poor about this bass, is not bass itself. The strap supplied with the bass is far to thin for comfortable playing, I suggest using a thick strap with this bass (however, I'm a teenager, I'm not that strong). I did originally have a Highway One Jazz, but the neck pickup was totally dead, so I sent it back to Fender. They have since refunded that bass, and put it towards this one. Compared to the Highway One, for me, this bass is superior.

I have not yet had the chance to gig this bass, but from it's feel, I'm sure it will Live up to what's needed by the gigging bassist. The hardware feels secure, and stays firmly where it should do. The strap buttons are solid, and are shaped in such away where it's near impossible for the strap to slip. Yes, I feel you can depend on this bass, but as always if you are gigging, it is very important you have a spare bass. As I haven't had a chance to 'road test' this beast yet, it's hard to say whether the finish will last, and anyway it's a Fender, it's going to (well apart from Jaco's Bass anyway).

Not much to say on this subject. The bass was ready to play, out of the case, with no imperfections on the instrument it's self. The bass came with full protection on parts like the stratchplate and tuners. The action on the bass was perfect for me, especially as I refuse to use a plectrum. My bass is in the Olympic White finish with a Tortoise Shell Pickguard, and these did not contain and problems. All the screws on the bass were as flush as they should be with the bass.

The new American Standard Jazz Bass, is a bass that's needed to be played, to be believed. Brand new for 2008, the New Jazz (and it's Precision Sister), launch Leo Fenders Designs into modern day times. Made in the USA, this bass features 20 medium jumbo frets, a beatiful traditional Jazz-thin maple neck, with a satin finish. The fretboard comes in either maple or rosewood, and is in a gloss finish as well as the headstock. You have your classic J-Bass body, and a new thinner finish on the paint, giving a lighter instrument. The bridge, can either be as a conventional jazz bass bridge, or now strung-thru the body, giving great sustain.The bass has the standard 2 J-Bass Pickups, and 2 volume, and 1 tone control. The tuners have the 'elephant ear' design, but they have been modified to also reduce weight. A new lockable hard case comes with the bass, which also includes a cloth, strap, and a cable (and of course a manual, and truss rod tool).

capt.groove
    My review (capt.groove), is for the NEW American Standard bass for 2008, please dont get confused. Keep it groovy
    acoustielectric
    Yes, basses are important. Don't say guitars are overrated. Whats overrated is singing. Either you are born with it or not. If you are it's so easy. Freakin american idol...