Standard Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Jazz Bass

This bass is great for my style, which is a mish-mash of classic rock and Indie. I use this bass for everything, although it's mostly used for some form of rock, and Indie like Death Cab For Cutie. I use it in front a Fender Rumble 75, and a tiny Fender practice amp, and either way it sounds good. This bass has a very versatile tone, from bright funk, to super-warm rock bass tones. With this bass you can get all sorts of useable tones, great for all genres. With the tone rolled down you get a nice deep and warm thumpy tone, great for classic rock. Roll the tone back up, and you've got the tone for Megadeth's "Peace Sells". One of my favorite tones is to roll up the volume on the neck pickup, turn the tone to about 4 or 5. You get a nice warm tone, with some bite if you roll the tone back up a little. Very sweet for Indie, or anything clean.

Overall, this bass has served me well, and I'm impressed with it. It's worked great for when I play all sorts of rock, and it's hung in there when I play Indie. It sounds great whatever I play, and it's damn good bass in my opinion. If someone stole this bass I would probably go with a Jaguar Bass. I love J basses, but I really dig Jaguar's. If a Lake Placid blue J bass with a maple neck & fretboard came my way though, I'd have to snatch that up. I love the tones I get out of this bass. It's super versatile, and could fit in any gig, whether it be high-voltage pop-punk, to a chill jazz trio, to maybe even a metal gig. There's nothing more I want out of this bass, it's got everything I need, I just wish it didn't need a new neck. It's getting rough to play, and because of it, I haven't been playing bass as much. Overall though, this is a damn good bass for the pricepoint, it has a great tone, and through a sweet bass rig it'll Shine.

This bass survives live playing all the time, it's fine. It's not fragile in any sense. The hardware is tough, not cheap crap. The strap buttons are solid, I haven't had a strap give it out on me before. One thing though is that the neck is starting to warp, and it's not because of extreme humidity or anything, all my other instruments are fine. It's becoming a problem with playability, and I'll probably have to replace the neck soon. Honestly though, I don't think it's an issue with the bass, so much as the conditions. You have to take care of your instruments, which mine wasn't before I got it. Well, I always wanted an all maple neck on it anyways...

The action was okay from the factory, but with a little fiddling I got it where I wanted it. I was pretty surprised because most Fender basses are set-up really well, I guess mine was an exception. The bass didn't have any flaws when I got it, it was pristine. The finish was great, the frets were great, the hardware was great, the nut was great etc. etc. Everything was super tight, I could've gigged with it the day I got it.

The Fender Mexican J Bass I'm reviewing has 20 frets, on a slim J Bass neck. It's got a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays, and a skunk stripe on the back. It's got all your regular J bass appointments, with two J bass pickups to a two volume and one tone knob. It has a very nice Electron Blue finish, very classy looking.