Standard Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Jazz Bass

Purchased from: Guitars N Stuff

For playing a lot of RATM, Anthrax, RHCP, and similar varieties like that, it's a wonderful sound. The bright sound of the pickups please my inner tone demon, and keep me under control. I run mine through a Peavey Basic 112 bass amp with a Marshal Supervibe chorus pedal. The pickups are a little noisy when your close to the amp. The tone differences are a little restricted with the single coil pickups, BUT IF THAT IS THE SOUND YOU WANT THEN GET IT! I can get about three good sounds out of it, a warm rich tone, a brighter chimey-er tone, and a fuzzed out bass-rich tone. All those using only the bass controls. For the restrictions and hum, I'll give it an 8.

I play a pretty wide variety of music, this isn't for metal. But for everything else, it's a match made in heaven, you won't be disappointed. I've been playing bass for 4 years, and I've gone through 4 basses, none have been as good as this. I didn't really have to ask questions because it was exactley what I wanted. I wouldn't lose it or let it get stolen, (Refer to my reveiw of the MXR Fullbore Metal for my policy on stolen equipment). I absolutley LOVE the feel of the neck on this guitar, it has a spectacular feel to it. I only hate the thick finsih on it. But the neck is the best feature on this bass. I didn''t compare because I couldn't afford too. I only had so much money to buy this. Only wish the pickups didn't hum.

This bass is very sturdy, unless you were really fooling around onstage, you wouldn't have any problems. The hardware is stuck to the bass well, as far as I can tell. The strap buttons are good, but a locking strap, or straplocks, would improve them quickly. I can depend on it 100%, and I don't need a backup for 2 reasons, 1: the bass is QUALITY, 2: it's the only one I got. The finish is THICK, I perfer a thinner one for the wear, and road worn apperence, so that up to your perference. A 9 is fitting due to it's lack of straplocks.

This is hard to fill in, I bought mine second hand, (The ONLY way to go in my book.) So I don't know about the factory settings or strings. But what I do know is that Mine had none of the afformented flaws usually found in a new instrument. A 9 is fitting considering mine was secondhanded.

My Jazz Bass was made in 2006 as part of their 60th anniversary for the bass. It is a MIM, but it doeshas a small badge of authenticity on the back of the headstock. It's got your basic 20 fret, Rosewood fretboard neck. The neck is VERY sleek and easy to manuever, and speaks volumes about the craftmanship that went into it. It has an Alder body with a bolt on maple neck, the Fender standard. Mine has a cream finish that feels pretty thick and well applied. The Offset body is a little odd to play sitting down, but it gets easier as the time goes on. The hardtail bridge on mine was perfectly intonated from the GUITAR STORE, he sets all of them up, so a factory standard might need some TLC. It has 2 basic single coil jazz bass pickups, that are supprisingly robust and bright, my personal preference. You get a Volume/Volume/Tone selection of knobs, the tone being an akwardly smaller knob that looks out of place. The pickups are just a set of standard Fender jazz bass pickups, nothing special. The Fender tuners are suprisingly sturdy on my bass, and can easily keep it in tune. Sadly, you won't get anything extra with it, but you will get a fine bass at a REASONABLE price. To be brief, it's exactley what I wanted.

LoTone
    Jazz Bass not suitable for heavy rock? Hum... I guess that Geddy Lee of Rush and Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine would disagree.