Standard Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Jazz Bass

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Paul's Bass Matters

The Fender J-Bass has a good quality sound for the price. It is my third bass and the first that I will beat down to practice slapping. This bass has that good rich sound to make it squeel like a pig. Mostly I play blues, pop and rock. With this bass I can focus on the funk side of music. Open op the neck pickup and let the tone down you get a good dark brown sound for a J-bass. Open up the bridge pickup and you get a nice slapping sound with a dark flavor. Just by controlling the tone you can make that sound into a bright popping sound. Currently I'm playing on a Coxx 60w. I will get a Hartke A35 just to make it sound better. I tried this bass on a Markbass Minimark and it absolutely sounded great.

The bass is a good one for all kinds of music. If you need a bass with low-dark sounds I'll suggest a precision bass. For playing overall and slapping/plucking/beating this will be the good choice if you want a Fender and don't have the cash to buy a American. This bass made me suck into the Fender family. My previous basses was the Harmonie... I don't know what the f*ck it called (not particularly a good bass). Second a occasion Epiphone power bass (better but also sh*t). I'm playing for over 8 years, since 4 years in bands and now I have the feeling I own a good bass. I love the color. Every bass I have is black and I needed some color in my live. The copper metallic burst makes it seem like a brown sunburst but with a sparkle in it. Nice. In my search for a bass I first started with a Ibanez SR700 of SR500. It was to light weighted for me. Than I began my search with Fender. I played Mexican, American, Squier, classic 60's and 70's. American Deluxe (wet dream) and some signature. Just by price quality this is the one for me.

This bass is for live. It is a Mexican bass but it is a good quality bass with a good sound. It feels like you can play to the end of your live and pass it on to your grandchildren. You have to be careful not to place it in a dry place because of the rosewood. I think if you maintain it, it will be thankful for to you till death. But you have to be careful picking one. Not all the standard J-basses have that good quality. In my search for a Fender I tried almost all the models I can get my hands on and some of the Mex standards were in bad shape. Not every salesman sends it back. It might be a Fender, it is a Mexican! Be critical and expect quality from a Mexican. The hardware seems like it will last. The strap buttons are ok but I will replace them for strap locks. I won't play this bass without a backup. Not that it isn't reliable. I think it will withstand many of gigs, its just me personal.

The store that I bought is from had this bass adjusted. The bass was already set to play. The pickups and strings where in the right positioning. Therefore was the action great. After I bought is I tuned it for 3 times because of the new strings. After the last time I didn't had to tune it for 6 weeks. I have the bass for 2 months now. There where no flaws accept the finish of the pickguard and the control plate. It doesn't fit well but it is minor. On some of the American standards I noticed the same.

Fender Standard Jazz Bass, Mexican. - Colour: Copper Metallic Burst - Construction Type: Solid body - Neck construction: Bolt on neck - Strings: 4 - Frets: 20, Medium Jumbo - Body: alder - Neck: Maple - Fret board: Rosewood - Fretboard Inlays: Dot inlays - Pickup Neck: Fender Standard Jazz Bass - Pickup Bridge: Fender Standard Jazz Bass - Pickup type: Single coil J - style - Electronics: Passive - Controls: 2 x volume, 1 x tone - Hardware: chrome