Standard Jazz Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Jazz Bass

Price paid: C$ 599.99

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

It suits my style for a nice mix of top, middle and bottom end. I play in a school band as I am only 14. It caters to every sound I need for that band going through an old 100 watt amp at school. At home I use a Tech21 bass driver and an EV SXA180 teamed up with an SXA250 or SXA100, which every is most convenient since my dad owns a DJ company and has lots of gear. That is where my pride and joy sounds come out of is that combo.

At home, I play along to rock songs, at school in the band I play more blues type which is one category that the jazz bass rocks in, as well as rock and roll. I started really focusing on playing bass about 2 months ago and now I can play a few Rush songs all the way through. (the easier ones) ex. "Red Barchetta", "Freewill", "Far Cry", "The Trees".

It will definitely withstand lots of live playing. Hardware is still 100%. I've only had the bass for 5 months though. The strap button on the top pops out. that's the one thing that I am getting fixed right away for my school tour. I would definitely go for numerous gigs without a backup for this bass.

The guitar was perfectly tuned and set-up when I got it. Pickups and everything worked straight out of the gate. Action did not require any maintenance of any type. The frets stick out about 2mm's from the top of the neck. Making it a bit rough. I don't have any issues with it as I don't play my bass upside down. The action is very very fast and easy to play on. I could not want anything more from this bass. Other than a twin so I have another one to rock out on.

I have a 2010/2011(unsure of this) made in Mexico. Maple neck with maple fingerboard, I got the gorgeous Candy Apple Red color. I treat like a baby, I clean the fingerprints off every time I use it, polish it once a month. So easy to string up with new strings, easy to tune, easy to work on a saddle if necessary. It came with a gig bag. I got a hardshell for Christmas though.

MaggaraMarine
    thewhorock wrote: pie_man_25 wrote: nikk axx wrote: Oh and to end the discussion on Steve Harris or Cliff Burton...the answer is Jaco Pastorious....If you haven't heard of him then you both have a lot to learn. all of you guys are wrong it's definitely John Entwhistle Chris Squire /debate
    Dudes!! Arguing about who the best bassist is is stupid. It's a matter of opinion. Like Billy Sheehan is one of the most skilled bassist but that doesn't mean he is the best. He's Steve Vai of the bass. But like many guitarists consider Jimi Hendrix as the best guitarist that doesn't mean he was the most skilled (and he wasn't the most skilled). Same goes with bassists. I think Cliff Burton is a bit overrated because he's dead but I liked him before I even knew he was dead (though back then I didn't know anything about bassists or guitarists and liked him because he was a member of Metallica and Metallica was my favorite band. And I had never seen anybody playing a bass solo). And still like him. He was one of the reasons why I got interested in playing the bass.