Standard Precision Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Precision Bass

Purchased from: Academy Of Sound, Sheffield

I've been playing bass about 5 month now, owning an SG look-alike (EBO model technically) bass before this P-Bass, and I would have to say how much better this bass is, as well as being better than a lot of the basses I have tried in Academy of Sound. If it got stolen, I'd definetely replace it (if I had the money). In the shop, I compared it to a Squier P-Bass and a Fender jazz bass and I would say its so much better than both, obviously better than the Squier but I thought perhaps the jazz bass would have been better. Turns out I was wrong, the P-Bass has got a much better roar to it. I initially went in for an Epiphone Thunderbird but I'm glad they didn't have any in stock that day, or I wouldn't have gotten my (much) better precision bass :D

I've yet to use my P-Bass live (hopefully soon I will be gigging with it though) but its fell over about three times now, from being stood up and theres no damage to it whatsoever, not even a scratch, I can't even imagine what the previous owner had to do to get the dings in it that he created :-| The hardware seems to be built like a rock, and the finish is as perfect as day one. The strap buttons sometimes need screwing back in. Its a good dependable bass, and I wouldn't need a backup at a gig in my opinion. It never goes out of tune too, which is always a good thing, even after its fell over it didn't go out of tune :O It gets transported via car every monday about 5 miles as well to my friends house to jam, and its still in the same tuning at my friends house as I left it in when I left my house.

Good action, mine was second hand though, but even so the bridge is fine, as well as the pickups. The finish is smooooooooooth, theres a few dings here and there but they're obviously from the previous owners ventures. Like I have said above, the only problem is the pickups give a little bit of feedback (not a lot) when its not being played.

My Standard Precision Bass was made in Mexico 1998, so not as good as an american one but better than a japanese model. 20 fretted rosewood fingerboard, 1 standard Fender style plastic volume knob, and the same again for the single tone control knob. I would have preferred a chrome knobs but these can be sorted later. Solid, sturdy bridge and single split pick up, just standard passive Fender pickups. Laminated top, in sunburst effect. Non locking tuners, don't know their make but their big n fat, like the bass ;)