Standard Precision Bass review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Fender: Standard Precision Bass

It matches the style of music I play (punk, rock, pop-rock). I've been playing bass for 3 years now. I used to own a Squier P-Bass and a Mark Hoppus Precision Bass but I sold both so I could buy more guitars. This is my only bass right now. I own an Ampeg SVT-810HPC cabinet, Ampeg SVT-3PRO head, Korg Rack Tuner, a Power Conditioner, and an SKB roadcase. There is nothing I wished I had asked before I bought the bass. If it were stolen, I would definitley buy another assuming it was set up correctly this time around but if I had the money to buy an American P-Bass I would (who wouldn't). I love the sound I get now with the new pickups. It is very reminiscent of Mark Hoppus and Ian Grushka. I hate the fact it's not a string-thru body. I also hate that the bridge was so messed up, it shouldn't have been. My favorite feature is definitley the new pickups, they sound amazing. I compared it to a Mexican Jazz Bass. I bought this one because I prefer the sound of the Precision Bass. I wish it had a string-thru body, that's really it. If you are going to buy this bass, take my advice and replace the pickups with Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pound Pickups. They are very hard to find in stores (I called every Sam Ash and Guitar Center within a 2 hour radius of me and only 1 store had it) but it is very well worth it to get them somehow.

When I got the guitar, the bridge was totally messed up. I couldn't go beyond the 5th fret on the E string, the buzz was so bad that I couldn't play a song. When I adjusted the bridge, it wouldn't stay, it would sink back down. I had to order a specific part for the bridge from Fender. The original pickups were set up well though. Oh and the volume knob has fallen off twice. Now that I've replaced the pickups and fixed the bridge, the guitar sounds great. But I have to rate it on what it was like I bought it, and that was terrible.