Standard Precision Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Precision Bass

Purchased from: Friend

I play prog, through an Ashdown 5-15 for practice, and an old 250 watt Hi-Watt head with a 4X15 cab, and it sounds great through both. I've been playing for 35 years and this is one of the nicest feeling necks I've ever played. I also own a 4001Rick, and a 79 J bass, and I haven't picked up either one since I got this. I would definately look for another if this got lost or stolen, but since it's an older model, I'd be surprised to find another Mex.

This has become my first choice for gigs, it feels good plays great, and is light enough to play a 90 min. Set without killing your shoulder. Lately I've been usuing this bass withought a backup, and have no problems with it.

I bought this one used, so I can't rate the factory settings, but Fender is usually pretty good at factory set-ups. As for fit and finish, it was excellent with no neck adjustments needed even after I refinished the body (purple isn't my color). Everything in the wiring works fine, and nothing has fallen off yet.

I purchased this bass from a friend in another band so it had some use on it when I got it. I've been playing bass since 1970, and have played virtually everything, but always come back to Fender. The build date on this Mexican made P is 1998, and when I got it it was all stock, and sounded pretty good, this was the first Mex. P I have played, and it's damn good! The neck is one of the best I've ever played, the action had been adjusted several times, and the bridge isn't that great (but then Fender bridges never were), I put a Gotoh hi-mass on it, and now it's got better action than my Rick.