Standard Precision Bass review by Fender

Fender: Standard Precision Bass

Purchased from: Pawn shop in SC

Awesome full sound, very high output. I have used it through a direct box, straight into our mixer, through a lot of different amps, even through a Peavey guitar amp at low volume, miked. Currently through a Marshall 100w combo with a 15" and a horn. I roll the tone beck to 7 or 8 or so to take a little of the brightness off. Very versatile, I don't see why you couldn't play any kind of music with this bass.

I play rock, blues, metal, just about anything except country. I've been playing guitar for about 30 years, self-taught. Haven't played a lot of bass, just sporadically until the last 3 months or so. If I lost it somehow, I would look for another. If I find another for a steal like I git this one, I'd probably just go ahead and buy it. I like the fact that it has a loud, punchy, high-output sound, stays in tune, like my trusty Tele.

It's rock solid, stays in tune, I wouldn't think twice about gigging without a backup, if I had to...I always try to have a backup in case something strange happens, the show must go on...this thing is probably the most rock-solid feeling instrument I've ever owned...I've never even thought twice about letting other people play it, I just clean it up afterward...

From the pawn shop, the set-up wasn't too bad, but I left it in my trunk in freezing weather a couple of times. I changed the string about 3 years (!) after I bought it - I'm a guitar player, remember, I didn't play it that much, bought it initially mainly so somebody wanting to jam with me would have a bass to play...I put new strings on it recently, since I'm playing bass now. I put on Dunlop 45-105s, mainly because they weren't too light or too expensive... It had one chip in the paint near the back strap button, and was missing one of the metal ferrules that goes around the tuner post. I got the ferrule free from a huge box of "junk" at my local music store...funny thing, the Jazz Bass I bought in a pawn shop was also missing one of these... I got some extras... I recently did a set-up job on my own...sighted the neck, and adjusted the truss rod, straightened it out, then adjusted the saddled heigth, then the intonation, then the pickups...it was the first time I ever adjusted a bass, and it was easy...

Red '95 Standard Fender Precision Bass, MIM, white pickguard, maple neck and rosewood fretboard, 29 frets, single typical P-Bass offset pickup. Two knobs, volume and tone. Chrome hardware, seems to be of high quality, no problems there. Frets are nice and smooth, no jagged edges.