Steve Harris Precision Bass review by Fender

Fender: Steve Harris Precision Bass

Any instrument is a compromise. If you want a heavy sound, or if you have hands the size of a baboon's, choose another Fender. This instrument is designed to be played in Steve Harris's style by someone with smallish hands. I have used instruments where the sound, in my opinion, is better; but they have never been so practical as this instrument. It's a P Bass with lots of bottom and lots of mids. It cuts through nicely in a band situation, but it's not going to wow you with crystal clear clarity. Again, it's a P-Bass.

Look at it like this. You see a famous bass player on a Fender, then you see them playing another make. A couple of years later you see them again, and they are back on a Fender. Fenders are so well designed and practical. They really are best by test. This bass was inexpensive, plays great, sounds killer, looks killer, and has a bass hero's scrawl on the headstock to go with the Eddie logo to boot.

I always have a backup incase it messes up like my Sting signiture. This is all the bass you will ever need. Totally reliable. Well, Steve only ever uses this one bass in his old concerts.

Low action. Well set up, well, its has to be for Steve. Very nicely made although not quite up to the American made Precisions.

The colours are claret and light blue, the team colours of West Ham United, Steve Harris's and my favourite football (soccer) team. This is a late 2001 oe early 2002 Fender japanese masde bass. It's got a 20 fret maple board with a 7. 5 rdius. It's your typical P-Bass layout, volume and tone and that's it. The Bassline quarter pounds and both loud and very full. The body is Basswood and the neck is maple. Finished in a Lake Placid Blue that has a cool vibe about it. The bridge is a Badass 2 and it's very hefty and gives the basssgreat sustain. Tuners look fine and work well. The neck is not a big as some P's, however I have a new 2000 American made it it come close that as far as feel goes. It's made to be played onstage by someone who can play fast, like Steve Harris and myself.

OttovanZanten
    don't think it comes in wite, but not for sure, i'd want these colours. 500 dollars isn't much, where did he get it?
    ironmaidenrulez
    olithebass
    ironmaidenrulez : i duno. ive sold it now. went for 400 on ebay. ive sold all my basses apart from my dads Washburn XB800. i now play guitar.
    why! why! why! I have 3 basses. Im not selling a single one!
    ironmaidenrulez
    haha!! im not a guitarist anymore! im a drummer! i cant stick to one instrument! lol!! to be honest, i still will practise on my dads bass and drums and guitar any everything as if i was dedicated to them instruments