Sting Precision Bass Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 04/12/2006 category: Bass Guitars
Fender: Sting Precision Bass
This '50s-style Precision Bass features a vintage-style single-coil pickup, contoured body with 2-color sunburst finish and the King Of Pain's signature in the block pearl inlay at the 12th fret.
 3,339
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Sting Precision Bass Reviewed by: ironmaidenrulez, on april 12, 2006

Features: 1980's it was made in. 20 frets. His namesake '50s-style Precision Bass features a vintage-style single-coil pickup, contoured body with 2-Color Sunburst finish and the King of Pain's signature in the block pearl inlay at the 12th fret. // 10

Sound: With my Ampeg V-4 it just ruled from the instant I plugged it in. It doesn't have much versatility as can be expected, but for a driving boomy sound without mich clicky metal overtones. It sound really nice. If you like police or the now known sting, buy this bass for the sound, but I don't like the real deep bommyness of it, but if I tune it any lower then the strings will come off, and if I tune it any higher it sounds like a cat being strangled (No offence to those who like cats). // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was a bit lacking as usual for most Fender products, and the strap holders were loose after 1 session (but I tend to bop around a lot). I'm happy I got Sting's signiture on the 12th fret, because then I could go to my mates and say I got my bass signed, then they would find out its already signed at the factory. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand gigs and stuff. All the hardware seems it will last for about a 50 years then it will perish or go out of fashion (like it isn't already). When I was playing with mmy band three songs later and bam! The G string slips under the pickup and rips the cheapo pickup apart, destroying the coil. I thought to myself "if I was Sting, this would not be happening." Determined to make my investment make sense, I take out the ex-pickup to have my buddy rewrap it. He does it by hand, and whats this? It sounds better than Sting? It had tons more output(granted my buddy did make it much hotter, and he is a pro). // 4

Overall Impression: If looks and nostalgia were the only factors at play, this bass would be a winner. But I dont buy an instument to just look at it and pluck out groovy bass lines at social gatherings. This "thing" is not an instrument, or a tool of any kind. It is purely a wall hanger. And the only walls it should be hanging on is in a music store, and with a price tag that equals the performance. // 6

Comments