Gravity 5X Review

review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Gravity 5X Reviewed by: rhino0909, on august 11, 2010

Price paid: £ 299.99

Purchased from: redfishmusic.com

Features: *made in Japan *24 Frets *laminated wooden top *passive pickups *3 way controls - bridge and neck pickup volume control, and tone *standard Fernandes tuners Fairly standard features and equipment, but unless your into all the little gizmo's which guitars often come with, then it should be all gravy chip and pea's. // 7

Sound: I personally play a lot of punk, funk, metal, and general song which everyone knows, since I am in a few cover bands, and I have to say, with a little bit of tweeking of the volume and tone nobs, you can get a large variety of slap tones, groovy finger tones, and punchy pick tones.however I have found that leaving the nobs turned up full gives the best balance, especially if your into getting the best slap sound, with bright highs and really punchy and trembling lows, which I have found sounds great when played through many amps, from my Line 6 110 studio, to a 450 Trace Elliot amp. I have also played on its big brother; the 5 deluxe model, and even with the addition of the 2 bass and treble boosters, it really doesnt't give it that much more than the 5x already offers. The whole sound of this guitar is great, I when I was in the process of buying this guitar, I also played on a jazz bass, and I have to say that they produce very similar tones and feel, probily thanks to the jazz pick ups they use, but the the extended frets, extra B string and overall orice of the Fernandes, I would say it was the right choice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived when I was in the middle of a band practice, and seeing as I had never owned a brand new bass guitar before, I was surprised to find that it was set up perfectly; the action was low, the bridge was balanced well and the whole feel of the guitar was solid, and poised. Apart from the tuning being a little out, but I thought that was forgivable. I still use the factory set up, but with Ernie Ball custom extra slinky on tap. The guitar arrived 2 days before expected, which in devon, is unheard of, and the guitar was in perfect condition, and came 1st class, and packaged with huge amounts of bubble wrap. All in all, I'm impressed, and to top it off, it looks great, although I could only find a 5 string version in black, unless I wanted to buy the pewter version, for an extra 50! But I have now fallen in love with the black. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far so good, I've played live many times with it, with no problems so far, and I have owned it for about 6 months. This doesnt't really come as a suprise, seeing as there is not much on it to go wrong. The only little problem I have had it that one of the strap buttons was a little loose, and I failed to spot this, and it resulted in hitting into my drum hit, leaving a chip next to the input. But I blame this on bad luck rather than a reliability issue. However, in order to receive the 1 year warranty, you must fill in a small form, which you must then send over to Spain, and you must fill it out perfectly, and within 14 days of purchasing, unlike what I did, only to have it returned to me with only 2 days to fill it out again. I did not get the warranty. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is one of the best guitars I have played for under 500, and it really does suit any and every style of music, with its styling, and tones and sounds. Another great thing about this guitar is the harmonics and sub harmonics you can get when you are playing finger style at the bridge of the guitar. The only guitar I have played which I could say is better is the Flea bass, which really is from a whole new planet of awesome. I can't wait to get one, tho I hope a 5 string version is imminent. // 9

Comments