G-4 review by Gear4Music

Gear4Music: G-4

Very good sound for it's price. I tend to keep the tone lower, even when not using a plectrum, because it has a some what twangy sound, unless you like that. I've mostly been using it on the small 15W amp that comes with it, but have tried it on some better amps and it sounds good.

I play punk/rock and a bit of slap and pop, handles well for all types of playing, except for slap and pop lowering the action would be ideal. I've only been playing little under a year now but have been told I'm good so I feel some what qaulified to review this bass, especialy as I have played it constantly since december, have played this and a few other cheap J and P basses but prefer this hands down. This bass is ideal for people on a budget, maybe first time buyers, but also good for semi-pros. I love how good it is considering how little it costs. Quite frankly I love this bass and will carry on playing it once I get a new better bass.

I've been playing this bass pretty much everyday for about an hour or more since december and it is holding well. The top strap button has come loose though so I use duct tape to hold it on, not a major problem, but of course if you were regualry gigging not ideal. I have not used this bass Live, but my friend has the same model as me, just in a different colour, and he uses it quite often, he has no complaints about it.

Action was nice for finger plucking and plectrum, it isn't impossible to slap and pop, although the action could do with being lowered if you want to dedicate it to just slap and pop. Slight buzz when playing with the amp that comes with it, but I think thats more the amps fault. Neck is good, thin, easy to play on. I've had no problem with the bridge, alls well on that end. A few minor chips on the fretboard, and one on the body, not noticable at all, doesn't effect playability.

I better just get straight to it, this bass has no amazing or new features. It is a cheap yet quite good bass. Brilliant value for money. The G-4 is a standard P Bass with split coil pick ups and white pick gaurd. The body is made form basswood, neck maple and fretboard is rosewood. Butterfly tuning keys. Comes with a 15W amp, carry case, cheap lead, plectrum, set of spare strings and a strap. Comes in a range of colours, most standard paint, but also a sunburst can be found. 1 Volume 1 Tone knob. Strings arn't bad, but I would suggest buying some better ones, I'm currently using some Rotosound strings which sound good.

IYanoplathizoI
    These guitars are hit and miss. A friend got one and it lasted him for about 3 years. Someone he knew got one and the neck was firewood within three months. Its always the neck that goes with this brand, or the pups - but they should be replaced.
    longman101
    wow! thanks for this! i had my doubts abotu buying a cheap bass from Gear 4 Music and was going to opt for a Yamaha or something, but this has helped so much! Thank You!
    Stevie B
    Don't know about 8.6 but it's a surprisingly good bass for the money id give it a 7 probably.
    TheMcDay
    . Wish I made an account before writing this now. Yeah I know 8.6 is pretty high, I was think that whilst I was writing it. It's more to do with how good it is considering how cheap it is.
    jammy827
    i bought one of these for my first bass, the neck broke, and the electrics literally fell apart inside it. body, bridge and pick guard fine, my friend also had one of the strats and like that is in a really bad way after 9 months of use. recommended for people learning and not willing to pay much but an upgrade is recommended after a year. should be a 6 tops.