G-4 review by Gear4Music

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Gear4Music: G-4

Purchased from: Gear 4 Music online shop

The amp supplied with this Bass is really awful. After a couple of months I upgraded to a Marshall. This really brought the true sound of the bass out; punchy, yet deep and low. Seems to handle normal generic rock/punk stuff. The sound was quite uneven across the strings and is often tinny. The Bass sound beautiful tuned half a step down! Good for finger playing and picking!

Are you a beginner? Definitely buy this! But just be aware you WILL find yourself wanting a new one 6-9 months down the line. But you get what you pay for, and is much better buying this for 110 and hating it than than buying a 400 bass and hating it! I have grown attached to this Bass and probably will still Jam on it when I upgrade very soon.

It's a very cheap Bass and I think is ideal for beginners. The bass cannot handle any pop or slap, and will send every set of strings all tinny until you wear them back in. There is serious fret-buzz that can only be heard when played acoustically, which is really annoying when you want to play at night. Songs that you really get into and play your heart out to can send the bass all weird. The knobs needed re-wiring (which was simple enough), the cable is very poor and did not last long at all, and I brought a better strap. I wouldn't gig without a backup preferably. But if I had to, I suppose I'd feel confident, as after a year, I know what sends it crazy.

All needed to be adjusted for my specific style and taste, but the factory settings seemed decent. The only thing that let it down was poor wiring on the knobs.

I got this Bass exactly a year ago. Standard P Bass copy, rosewood fretboard, maple neck etc. The colour I loved (Blue) and made it stand out to everyone else's guitar. Volume and tone knobs, split coil pick-ups, standard bridge, you all know the thing. 15 watt amp with it, cheap lead, pick and bag. Looked very impressive when it came.

jamesbcfc
    Just thought of some things i should have added on the review. This Bass is really awful to tune! And the quality of the neck really depletes after a year or so.