Les Paul Special Bass review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Special Bass

Purchased from: Music Store

This is the bass for me. The only other bass I want to add my collection (of 1) is a Rickenbacker 4003 for it's Trebly tone. I played Precisions & I played Jazzes & I played Stingrays. They all sound so cheap after I play my Gibson again. I'll never sell it. If someone steals it, I'll go nutters. Then buy a Les Paul Bass Standard.

This thing has taken a bit of crap from me alone and it's still kicking like it's never left the factory. No scratchy pots. I can't tell you how many times it's hit it's neck on something and it hasn't phased it a bit. I been playing live the whole time I've owned it, 1 tour without a case, just a gig bag! It's built to last, you know why? It's a Gibson. I gig without a backup.

I got this thing froma music store used so the setup was probably different from the factory setup. It was setup for playing slap from what I can tell, with wide string spacing. I adjusted this to be a little closer and lowered the action (I like to play chords and octaves). The pickups were adjusted normally, neck pickup being nice and low & the bridge pickup was real high, near the strings. All I have to say is that the setup doesn't matter because seemingly everything is adjustable on this instrument. The finish is beautiful was no cracks from its 11 years of existence and it's age VERY slowly, I put it next to my friend's brand new Gibson Les Paul Guitar (which is in Cherry, as well) and it's the same tone and color. Good job Gibson.

- Mahogany Body, no top, Les Paul-style - Close to a P-Bass proportioned Mahogany Neck; Truss Rod; non-Locking Schaller Tuners, stacked 2+2-tyle - Ebony Fretboard (w/Mother-of-Pearl dot inlays) - 20 Low-Wide Frets - Dual Black Humbucker Pickups - Active Electronics (9-volt system) - 4 Knobs: Volume, Pickup balance, Treble Cut/Boost, Bass Cut/Boost - Bridge w/Saddles for each string (not-through body) - Laminated Cherry Finish

cerveza
    i think les paul shapes should stay with guitars, LP basses just look like shit
    hemi-san
    sounds god yet i think you were a litle eccentric. ii mean come on all 10? the instructions say to be critical
    tomwm1
    pie_man_25
    deadendbassist6
    Beautiful Bass, also has great sound for any style you are playing. Much better if you bought it in black.
    Mjr. Elric
    pie_man_25 wrote: I play a jazz bass, and it doesn't sound cheap at all, I also have a vintage 70's SG special, it plays awesome, and also does it matter what it looks like if it sounds and plays good?
    yes it does the LP is a legendary and beautiful guitar body but a bass it should never be. And personally i hate Gibson for this very reason they have no unique bass bodies the re-use guitar bodies and it sickens me. how ever I would be more than willing to purchase a six string LP if i could ever afford one
    Slash11214
    tomwm1 wrote: the basses these days look like guitars. Bring back things like music man and Ibanez
    People just have different tastes, there's nothing wrong with that, even if it looks like a guitar, as long as it's a bass and sounds good I'll play it.
    JamesBattery
    dose anyone have a rickenbacker bass ? do they sound good ? i know cliff burton played one and so did paul mccarteny but i wanna know should i buy one ?
    christianonbass
    although this might sound like I'm being a smart ass and your question would be more appropriate in the Ultimate Guitar forum, I'll answer for you. IMHO Rics are fantastic, but PLAY it first. This might sound like a no brainer, but people do mail order instruments. I would not mail order a Ric if I weren't familiar with them. They have a certain feel that isn't for every one. There are many songs recorded using a Ric. They have some versatility, but they have a specific tone as well. People who love them REALLY love them. Many people dislike them a lot, but do recognize that they are legendary instruments. Main point: PLAY IT FIRST!