Thunderbird Studio 5-String Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 01/09/2006 category: Bass Guitars
Gibson: Thunderbird Studio 5-String
The Thunderbird Studio brings together the original 1963 "reverse body" Firebird shape with Gibson's traditional, proven "set neck" design. The result is an unbeatable combination of style, performance and affordability.
 9.3
 9.6
 8.9
 2,373
review (1) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Thunderbird Studio 5-String Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2006

Features: I got this bass brand new for Christmas in 2005, and I have am simply put, in love with it. It has a moderately fast 20 fret neck and a solid black paint scheme. It has a very heavy tone. I'm not sure of the materials, but they give it a very warm, dark sustain. It has a standard bridge. The 2 ceramic humbucker pickups sound amazing with flatwound strings. It has rather limited ton, homever, with only 3 knobs for control: 2 volume and 1 tone. // 9

Sound: I play rock music, and was 100% satisfied with this bass' tone. It was used with a Peavey 4x10 amp, a Big Muff Pi, Boss Flanger and a DOD Chorus. It Was not at all a noisy axe, due to it's two ceramic humbuckers. My only audio complaint is the weak slap tone. For examples of this bass' sound, I belive System Of A Down bassist Shavo uses the 4-string version of this. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I tune my bass down low, so my grandpa had the action put way up for me. All parts were assembled and worked great. It was flawlessly buit by the time it was in my hands. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played 2 gigs wth this axe, and can say it will probobly be my main axe forever, due to it's durability. I have dropped it a few times, but it still looks brand new. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the perfect metal and rock bass. I have been playing for around 4 years, and use Peavy and G-K amps only. I played this once before buying and knew it was the one. The looks. The sound. The feel. It was like when I met my girlfriend. I knew it was the one. If it were stolen, I would cry, and buy a new one right away. I don't slap much, but I know how, so if I'm ever in a slappy mood, I must retreat to the old Ibanez. My favorite feature is the look of the body. It reminds my of the '80s. My real complaint is a lack of tonal versitility. Both pickups sound about the same, and there is only one tone knob. It should have a master volume, pickup blender, tone for each pickup, and a low, high, mid EQ. My custom Fender has this in 5 knobs, and it takes up little space. In closing, I'd like to give Gibson an A++ on this bass and compliment them on making a monster of an axe. Good job, guys. // 10

Comments