L2500 review by G&L

G&L: L2500

My style is solid, harmonic. I hold back and let go the statement note. Don't like to not be there. I like to walk it and with the low B, I like to climb from the bottom to cue the vocals. I use a Fender Pro 400 w 2-10's and an Ampeg BA-115 with 100 watts. No effects. The bass has such a wide range of tonal possibilities that I find them unnecessary. Can go from bright and crisp to hard punch to way too fat. Wide, wide, wide range in the bass and treble pots. It's a bit too easy to bumble and get a little muddy in the midrange when I'm in a rush to change tone. Could've used a 1-day seminar to learn the controls but that's half the fun.

I wish it had an angled-back headstock. The stock nut is plastic so I plan on replacing it with bone or brass. I'll get an extra hour of resonance out of it. I play in church every Sunday so I need to play many styles get many tones from Hard-Praise-Rock to reverent ballads. No hymns with our band. I've owned this for 10 months and can still find tones I didn't know it had or didn't know I needed. I've played for 25 years from lead guitar in blues bands to string bass in a swing band to Do-Wop to acoustic guitar, mandolin, doghouse bass and dobro in Bluegrass bands with occasional jazz detours to unlock some brain-drain.

No question about durability. This thing is overbuilt. No need for a backup. In fact, I bring my '73 P-Bass just for stage presence. Finish is a mile deep. Neck fabrication is unique (and strong).

Perfect setup from the factory (more like "lab"). Treble side of pickups were set a bit low for me, but a few twists of the adjustable poles fixed that. No craftsmanship flaws whatsoever. The standard strap posts were replaced with Shaller locks.

G&L L2500 Five string bass, immpeccably crafted. I found nothing to gripe about. Swamp ash top finished in "Blueburst" over maple P-Bass shaped body. Comfortable 9 lb weight. Maple neck with rosewood fretboard. I asked for "no dots" or other fret markers except on the side of the neck to give it a clean look. If I had a few extra bucks I'd prefer ebony; oh well. G&L fabricates their own pickups and they are wicked red-hot! Active electronics with mini-toggles boosting bass (like it really needs it), Treble ( to get a clean P-Bass sound)and another position to disable "active" circuit. They machine their bridges from solid billet brass then chromed plus thru-body strings make this resonate for a week. Weight is balanced so it hangs right where I put it. I don't get it, but they use aluminum string posts on their tuners to save weight. Maybe I guess.

Mjr. Elric
    Metalology wrote: I had one but sold it to get a six string. Great bass though!
    why on earth did you sell an awesome bass like that for a six string can you honestly tell me that you use each and every string often enough to get a use out of them? i have a five string and that low b i hardly touch You would have to have gotten a wicked bass to not want to kill yourself for selling one of these puppies though
    synix
    i have the 4 string tribute series. great bass. just wishing i could ad the low B.