Beluga II-F review by Hagstrom

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Hagstrom: Beluga II-F

Price paid: € 279.99

Purchased from: Music World Brillon

It is extremely versatile, due to being both active and passive it is capable of most styles competently. In addition it is also semi-acoustic and has similar acoustic output to a fully acoustic bass. I play in an Alternative/Blues Rock band and it suits perfectly. It is currently played through a Line 6 LD400 Pro combo and it works well, I'll soon be upgrading my amp so it's pretty irrelevant if the Hag works well with this one. It is occasionally used with an iPad for effects and it seems to work OK, but I don't really tend to use effects. I have the mids and highs turned to about half and the bass setting a little higher, and it sounds great. Not much more else to say there.

The bass performs exactly as I would expect, it is a jack-of-all-trades and master of all (that I've tried), I'm not convinced that it could do death metal or anything like that, but I don't need it to be capable of that. I've been playing nearly 4 years now and have had an Ibanez GSR190, Ibanez SR700 and a Peavey Millennium AC 4 BXP. I have since put the SR700 up for sale as it is very similar to the Hagstrom, and I prefer the Hagstrom (This is just my opinion). The Peavey is better at drop tuning at the moment (Has thicker strings). If the Hag got stolen, I would not hesitate to buy a new one, it is IMO the nicest bass I've ever played. I compared it in store to a Fender active Jazz (I believe it was a MIM) and preferred the Hagstrom. The only thing that does need pointing out is that it is a very heavy bass to hold and is not suited to smaller/lighter players for that reason, I am a 6ft2 male and 178lbs and I find it heavy but not unwieldy.

This guitar will not only survive live playing, I am almost certain that this guitar would survive the apocalypse. I still take my Peavey Millennium AC 4 BXP with me to all gigs, as it is wise to always have a back up. The strap buttons are a little small, but this is easily rectified. The finish is exceptionally durable, as I mentioned I believe this is ex-demo and the only scratches are on the back. This guitar will last a good few years yet.

Considering this was sold as B-Stock, I am amazed at how good it looks. Mine is an Indian Summer coloured one, and it looks really vibrant. The pickups were perfectly adjusted, as was the action (Low), although I am not sure if Hagstrom did that or if the seller adjusted it. I have reason to believe that this is an ex-demo model. Apart from a few scratches, the bass is immaculate. The string that were supplied need changing soon as they are of a too lighter gauge for my style of music.

The bass I bought was made in late '09 in China. Specs (from Hagstrom's website): - Body: Chambered Mahogany Body, Solid Maple Top with Flamed Maple Veneer - Neck: Bolt-on Hard Maple - Fingerboard: Resinator with Hagstrom Select Block Pearl/Abalone Markers / 15 Inch Radius / Graph Tech Black Tusq XL 42mm nut - Trussrod: H-Expander - Tuning Keys: Hagstrom 17:1 Die Cast - Scale Length: 34" | 864 mm - Pickups: 1 x Dyna Rail 945B-N Alnico 5 | 1 x Dyna Rail 1000F B/N Alnico 5 - Pickup Selector: 6-Way Rotary - Bridge: Hagstrom Full Contact Bass Bridge, Dual access (Top or String through body) - Controls: 1 x Volume 18-Volt Active Pre-amp 3-Band Active EQ Passive/Active Swtich Mid-EQ-Sweep Control Pre-amp Gain Output. It is very, very, verrrrry heavy however. For the money I paid, it blows everything else out of the water. Even compared to a Ibanez SR700 it holds it's own.

Elderer
    Interesting and only 280$? The shape seems to remind Beattle bass but I like it.
    Spanner93
    It retails at about 790eur, but as it is an ex-demo it was marked down. Even at 790, it is a good bass.