WSB704 Review

manufacturer: Harley Benton date: 10/01/2007 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Harley Benton: WSB704
MM-style, body basswood, bolt on hmaple neck, rosewood fretboard, 20 frets, scale 86cm, 1 mm style pickup, 2 volumen and 1 tone controller, BB022 bridge, hardware chrome.
 1,367
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
WSB704 Reviewed by: untitled039, on october 01, 2007

Features: This bass is really a MusicMan Stingray copy but with a little bit of a twist. Unlike a Stingray, there are 1 Volume and 2 (or 3) tone knobs, but on this there is 2 Volume knobs and one tone knob. It seems strange having 2 volume knobs for a single pickup bass but actually each volume knob controls one of the coils in the pickup. So basically you have both a humbucking pickup and 2 single coils on board. It has a basswood body with a black finish and pearloid pickguard, a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard and an 86 cm scale. Also unlike the Stingray the electronics are passive, not active. The headstock is a similar shape to that of a Stingray (not exactly the same) with a 3-1 tuner line up. // 8

Sound: Given the fact that you get both a humbucker and single coil pickup in one, this is one versatile bass. It handles pretty much everything you can throw at it. As I'm mainly a guitar player, I'm currently just using it with my guitar amp and the tone is great, so on a bass amp I'd expect it to be even better. There is a bit of noise, even with the pickup in full humbucking mode if the tone is on full, but when you are playing it's inaudible so not much of a problem there. In full humbucking mode, it has a beautiful rich sound with plenty of bite at the same time and with it in single coil mode it has a very snappy, bright tone. It's a great bass for fingers, picks and especially slapping, there's not much this bass can't do. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was playable right out of the box (after it was tuned of course). There was nothing I could find that was wrong and I still haven't found any fault with it. It stays in tune for days on end, I play it every day and I only have to properly tune it once a week. The action is perfect for me and the intonation is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had a chance to use this Live yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't withstand Live playing. It's a strong bass, both physically and in terms of sound. The finish is fine and I can see it lasting a while, but I have only had it for 3 or 4 weeks so I don't know how the finish will last in the long term. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from punk to funk and there's nothing it wont do. I have been playing guitar for about 6 years and this is my first bass, and I can see myself playing it for a long time. I would definitely go for this again because it's versatile, it's got a great sound and it is so good for it's price. Of course, it's no match for a real $1000+ Stingray, but for only 118, there is nothing I can find fault in. I compared it to other Harley Benton basses, like a Jazz-style one, but I went for this one because I couldn't find any Stingray copy for that price. I didn't even know that you could split the coils on it when I bought it so that was a nice surprise when it arrived. There isn't much more you could ask for on a bass like this. // 9

Comments