500/1 (1966) review by Hofner

Hofner: 500/1 (1966)

I play pop music, gospel, new orleans etc. I've been playing for 30 years. Although I have a Ricky, which I love, the more I learn about the Hofner the more I prefer it. It's an odd bass. It's not on Main Street. So getting info about compressors and what sort of strings to get is often a mystery. Part of the reason I'm writing today is to demystify the workings of a Hofner. So you to can have a happy and rich musical experience. One thing you should note. You can't pop or snap on a Hof. Grab another bass for that. But if you want a beautiful rich woodsy warm sounding bass, that has so much melodic surface, get yourself a 500/1. I love pops and snaps, but I leave it to Flea and Co. When you've had enough snapping, check out a Hofner. And don't forget to scope the Hofner Delux. Lastly, after you start playing a Hofner, you'll quickly begin to recognize the sound of other Hofners on recordings. Bryan Adam's plays one, Maurice Gibb (rip) played one, the bassist in KD Langs band plays one.

The action was set up too high on the G and D strings. And too low on the E and A strings. That's an easy adjustment to fix.

Introduced in 1956, the 500/1 Bass, aka "Beatle Bass" is perhaps one of the most easily identifiable instruments thanks to Paul McCartney's liberal use of the model with Beatles. - Body: hollow; 2-piece laminated spruce top, laminated maple sides, 1-piece laminated maple back - Finish: sunburst, nitrocellulose lacquer - Neck: 2-piece maple, set-in - Fingerboard: rosewood; pearloid dot markers - Number of frets: 22 - Pickguard: single ply pearloid plastic - Bridge: Hofner, ebony - Nut: plastic with zero fret - Tuners: open, chrome - Pickups: two, Hofner Nova-Sonic humbucking - Controls: volume for each pickup, selector switch for each pickup, bass/treble switch - Scale length: 30" - Neck width at nut: 1 9/16" - Body width at lower bout: 11 1/4" - Body depth: 2 1/4".

Portel
    I dont like bass guitars, but I love Paul McCartney! So I love this guitar!
    Yuusukedesu
    xXsadpandaXx
    Portel wrote: I dont like bass guitars, but I love Paul McCartney! So I love this guitar! thats reatarded as ****. thats like saying, i don't like peanut butter. but i love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! Haha
    IvoryBassist
    Its a nice bass. ive played it and its got a real nice sound and feel to it. therefore i love this guitar for legitamite reasons.