500/1 Contemporary Beatle Bass review by Hofner

Hofner: 500/1 Contemporary Beatle Bass

Purchased from: Guitarcenter.com

It has a center block running down the middle of the body, which improves sustain. It also makes it more versatile. The controls on the control panel are different then most other basses. It comes with a 2 knobs, one for each pick up, a rhythm/solo switch (it boosts the bass, basically), a bass on/off switch (turns the bridge pick up on and off), and a treble on/off switch (turns neck pick up on and off). You can turn the pickups off, by turning both pick ups off. So, when you turn the bass switch down, turning the bridge pick up off, you get a very deep and bassy sound. When you turn the neck pick up off, you get a sound similar to a Rickenbacker, with it's trebly sound.

I play punk and classic rock, with a bit of some modern heavy rock (like STP or Velvet Revolver). I've been playing for 3 years and I have a Squier P bass, and a Hartke A100 (recently renamed the Kickback 15, I believe). I researched a lot about this bass before buying (and even played a Vintage one from the '70's. Besides the block, this is exactly the same). If it were stolen, I would buy it again, hands down. My favorite bass ever. I love the pickups on this bass, very nice and the control plate makes it easy to use. My favorite feature has to be the rhythm/solo switch, how you can boost the bass. It's a very nice bass, you won't regret it.

This guitar will definitely withstand playing live. It's an amazing bass. The hardware is amazing, and very easy to use. The strap buttons are fairly solid, but I'm going to replace them with strap locks, to be sure. I use this bass without a backup, and it's amazing. The finish will last forever. I've touched every place of that bass, and none of it comes off or anything.

The set-up on this bass was amazing, it went from China to Germany, to GuitarCenter (wherever that was) to my house, with amazing action. I haven't had to set it up or anything. The action was very low, how I like it. The pickups were perfectly adjusted, about the same height. The bridge was routed properly. The only flaw this bass had was when I was practicing in my room, I sat on my bed, and the chord pushed the input jack into the bass, and the washer and nut on the input jack fell out, an easy fix. It's cool seeing the inside of the body. Smells nice, too.

My Hofner was made in 2011 (2012 model), made in China. These (the CT Hofners) are made up to Hofners standards. It has 22 thin frets, on a 30 inch-scale neck, with a rosewood fretboard. It also has a maple-beech-maple set neck. It is equipped with a German spruce top (which may have dried out, in Germany, for 20+ years). The back and sides of the body are flame maple. The finish on my Hofner is amazing. I got it in a sunburst finish and with the classic Violin style, it looks very much like McCartney's. It has an ebony bridge, which is easy to adjust for intonation and tuning. With the nice intonation and the German Staple pickups (511B), like in Pauls', the bass can get the classic Hofner sound. It came with a nice Hofner case.

iabssplyr
    First time I ever read that smell was being used as a criteria for evaluating a guitar. Interesting.