Rockwood LX100B review by Hohner

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
Hohner: Rockwood LX100B

Back in the day when I used it I played a wide variety of genres (rock, metal, reggae, funky...), but I think it was only good for metal or rock. It doesn't have rich sound, and has a short sustain, but maybe replacing some cables would make some change. The tone knob didn't do much, mostly worked as a mute switch - it was in max. Position all the time, trying to lower it only caused the volume go down.

Overall this bass is good for beginners, but it doesn't have a too fast neck because of the high action. It's not hard to play and it also looks good. I think it's not a common bass, I'm glad I bought it back then, but after I was playing a bit better I couldn't wait to afford a better instrument, and after that I only played it once or twice to feel a little nostalgic.

The finish of the guitar is holding very well even without a pickguard, maybe a couple of scratches on the headstock, but nothing major. The volume and tone knobs are working well. I can't say this about the jack connector... It just fell out recently, it was simply glued to the body and the nut broke off under the E-string, but these things are replaceable/repairable. I did some gigs with it and I never had a backup guitar with me, but there was never a single problem.

As I said before I bought it used so I had to set it up for my liking (and though I didn't have any experience of doing this, I tried to do it myself). The bridge could be adjusted well, but it'll always have a bit high action. The pickups aren't have a wide range to adjust them, but I think it's good enough. The tuners are OK as well.

This was my first bass guitar (and I still have it). I bought it used, it cost me around $180 in USD (I live and bought it in Hungary) 5-6 years ago. These basses were made between 1991 and 1993, I have no idea when and where exactly mine was made. The bass is 4-stringed and has a precision-style body with an ordinary-looking headstock and bolt-on neck with 21 frets. It has a black gloss finish on both body and headstock with a rosewood fingerboard/white dot inlays. The tuners and the bridge are standard pieces with chrome finish, nothing extra, they serve quite well. It has precision-style pickup with passive electronics. One volume and one tone knob, nothing much.