Rockwood LX100B Review

manufacturer: Hohner date: 12/01/2011 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Hohner: Rockwood LX100B
 4.1
 5.4
 2.7
 5,198
review (1) pictures (4) user comments vote for this gear:
Rockwood LX100B Reviewed by: TBone142, on december 01, 2011

Features: This was my first bass guitar (and I still have it). I bought it used, it cost me around $180 in USD (I live and bought it in Hungary) 5-6 years ago. These basses were made between 1991 and 1993, I have no idea when and where exactly mine was made. The bass is 4-stringed and has a precision-style body with an ordinary-looking headstock and bolt-on neck with 21 frets. It has a black gloss finish on both body and headstock with a rosewood fingerboard/white dot inlays. The tuners and the bridge are standard pieces with chrome finish, nothing extra, they serve quite well. It has precision-style pickup with passive electronics. One volume and one tone knob, nothing much. // 6

Sound: Back in the day when I used it I played a wide variety of genres (rock, metal, reggae, funky...), but I think it was only good for metal or rock. It doesn't have rich sound, and has a short sustain, but maybe replacing some cables would make some change. The tone knob didn't do much, mostly worked as a mute switch - it was in max. Position all the time, trying to lower it only caused the volume go down. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said before I bought it used so I had to set it up for my liking (and though I didn't have any experience of doing this, I tried to do it myself). The bridge could be adjusted well, but it'll always have a bit high action. The pickups aren't have a wide range to adjust them, but I think it's good enough. The tuners are OK as well. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The finish of the guitar is holding very well even without a pickguard, maybe a couple of scratches on the headstock, but nothing major. The volume and tone knobs are working well. I can't say this about the jack connector... It just fell out recently, it was simply glued to the body and the nut broke off under the E-string, but these things are replaceable/repairable. I did some gigs with it and I never had a backup guitar with me, but there was never a single problem. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall this bass is good for beginners, but it doesn't have a too fast neck because of the high action. It's not hard to play and it also looks good. I think it's not a common bass, I'm glad I bought it back then, but after I was playing a bit better I couldn't wait to afford a better instrument, and after that I only played it once or twice to feel a little nostalgic. // 6

More Hohner reviews rating category latest review
+ MR800 5.9 Electric Guitars 04/25/2013