BTB405QM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: BTB405QM

Purchased from: P.M.T

Like I said earlier I play metal/rock/emo and occasionally jazz and this bass suits all them sounds and can most likely variate for any style. I've been playing for 2 and a half years now and over them years, this bass has been the biggest enjoyment of all (give or take the occasional glitch), other gear I use consists of my Yamaha 4 string, my ashdown 180 watt 15" speaker amp and my behringer bass vamp multi fx pedal. If anything I would have asked before buying this it would be this: "can this bass take a beating?". If this bass was stolen I would definatley buy it again no questions asked! The one thing I love about this bass is the sound, its so variable and I love it. The one thing I dislike is the lack of durability but with the right adjustments that can all change. The only other bass I'd choose over this is the Ibanez K5 which is my next buy (as soon as I get the money that is).

This is where the downfall of the BTB405QM is, although it has great sound, it cant take a beating very well whilst performing or while being moved from areas. Like I said before, I like to move about whil performing but while I am doing this, it takes its toll on the strap buttons, they come loose too easily. Also the finish can sometimes chip off the bottom of the bass (only slightly) whilst in a bass case, also the volume control comes loose quite often from inside and starts shaking about easily (mainly happens on the mid range control) and finally the strings snap easily on this, I'm not sure if its my fingers or the bridge but they do snap quite often. Most of this could be a result of my carelessness at times but at other times its hardly believable that it happens.

The 1st impression this bass guitar made was perfect, everything was in place, everything was in perfect condition and it sounded awsome. The only problem was that the action was slightly low but that was quickly attended to, but other than that the pickups were strongly in place, the bridge was fitted perfectly and as far as I was concerned I saw no flaws in it what-so-ever upon buying it.

The BTB405QM which I bought was made in Japan (I'm not sure about the date of when it was made). The finish on the bass I bought was Transparent Black but I have noticed over the time I've been using this that the finish changes ion certain lighting, depending on the lighting of an area it can vary from black, grey, purple and green. This bass also comes in a Honey Sunburst finish. A thing I did notice on this bass which I havent on any other bass guitars is that it has a "Neutrik Jack" which locks the jack lead into the bass to prevent it falling out if stepped on in crucial situation (i.e. during a gig/bass solo), I find this feature great for people like me who tend to wander around the performance area. Here are the main spec's of the BTB405QM: - 5pc BTB5 Maple/Walnut neck - Quilted Maple top/Basswood body - Medium frets - MR-2 bridge (19mm string spacing) - DFR-N5 neck pu - DFR-B5 bridge pu - Vari-Mid IIIBII 3-band eq - Elixir equipped. The Neck Dimensions of the BTB405QM are: - Scale: 889mm/35" - Width at Nut: 47mm - Width at last fret: 76mm - Thickness at 1st fret: 20mm - Thickness at 12th fret: 22mm - Radius 500mmR. All in all this guitar looks and feels pretty damn nice!