BTB405QM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: BTB405QM

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

This bass is my favorite bass that I have ever played with. I have played with Warwicks, Warmoths, Ibanezs, Fenders, BC Richs and other stuff, but nothing beats this bass except for custom basses or basses over $2000 in price. If this bass was stolen, I would buy this again or try really hard to find it again. My favorite feature is the active EQ, but other stuff are amazingly good also. I wish I got life time worth of Elixir strings with this bass, cause they sound so good with this bass. Of course, I know my wish is too much. If you want the high-end quality without the high-end price tag, I recommend this bass. You can get it new for $700, but I found one for $400 used. Since I have experienced this amazing beauty, I probably can't go back to basses with Passive electronics. So my next invest will be on some Warwick or high-end BTB's with mahogany. If you've been playing fenders, and you play this bass, you'll never look back on Fenders again, never. Unless you're deaf.

This bass will definitely withstand live, or anything. Hardwares seem to be built to last, and strap buttons never failed me in my experience. Although, you should have atleast one backup, because of the batteries. But battery failures can obviously be avoided, if you change batteries regularly (I recommend once a year). Finish is good, I haven't made any dents even though I'm a rough player. I accidently bumped this baby into my starter bass, and this bass left a nasty dent on my GSR200! it is pretty hard, the hardwares would wear off due to oxidation, but other stuff won't wear off.

The action was alright, it is very low. And since this bass has Monorail bridge (separate bridge for each string), string spacings are wide, and it is good for slapping and other stuff. The intonation was a little off, but that is the usual for new basses anyways. Pickups were adjusted alright, and I haven't touched it yet because I'm experiencing no problems. Everything was routed alright, and the finish was alright too. But, on the finish, I saw some incohenrent patteren of black dots, which was hard to notice, but I found it. It is really unnoticable unless you've been playing this bass for 4 months. One of the knobs had oil marks, but that was cleanable. The edge of the nut was little sharp, but that is common on Korean instruments. The mid frequency knob makes an annoying popping noise when it is turned to the max, but you be careful and you can avoid that.

This bass is made in Korea around 2000, fretted 24 for G, D strings and 22 for others. It is 35 scale, yes the longest scale. It's got a basswood body and a quilted maple top, and mine is ocean blue. Pickups are Ibanez passive pickups extended series for 5 string, and the EQ is Vari-Mid III from Ibanez. Mine came with a gig bag, and a free pack of strings.