BTB405QM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: BTB405QM

This bass has the perfect tone if you play rock music, like I do. Even if you don't, it has various tone settings that allow for different tones, but it can be agreed that this bass is intended primarily for loud rock. I play it on a Crate MXB10 amp, and it sounds great. With the volume up loud, the B string can at times sound kind of farty, but I think that's more a problem with the amp's ability to handle the deep tone of the string than it is with the bass. The sound this bass makes is great, with smooth, deep tones that you can turn up loud without pissing off the neighbors. If your intentions are to play rock music, I definitely recommend this bass to you. If your intentions aren't to play rock music, I still recommend it to you.

I play rock music, but this bass can really be used for anything. The deep tones would definitely be suitable for jazz and other music of that sort, if that's your thing. The multitude of things you can do with it make it a versatile bass, worth every penny. It was stolen, I would sure as hell go out and buy it again (as soon as I got enough money together). The playability, the feel of it, the tone, the features, everything about this bass is awesome. The built in pitchshifter is fun to play around with, and it responds great to effects pedals. I chose this bass because I really wanted a five string, but I didn't know which one to get. I had only heard good things about Ibanez stuff, and so when I saw this one on sale at guitar center, I really liked the look and feel of it, and decided I wanted to get it. After all the good things I've heard people say about Ibanez, I have to say, boy were they right.

I've never gigged before, I play it enough to think that my practice with it should compensate. I've actually dropped it before (don't worry, I'll burn in hell for it), and the finish didn't scratch or anything. It's still completely intact excapt that the strap button is pushed in a bit, but not really bad. It can still hold a strap. I think this bass would definitely be safe for a gig without a back up. I really haven't had it long enough to say whether the hardware and stuff will last, but in the few months I've had it, I've played the sh! t out of it, and it still runs fine.

This is the bit I know the least about, so this is what you're looking for, sorry, but I'll try my best to sound like I know what I'm talking about. I can't find any flaws with the bass worth noting, if there are any at all, they aren't in the playing, the electronics, or the body. If it does have flaws, I have yet to discover them. As for pickup adjustment, I don't know much about it, but I'd say they're great. The bass, when amplified, doesn't sound tinny or distorted, which I know can happen if the pickups are too far from or too close to the strings. The only thing I've noticed is that if I strum and let it ring, it sounds like the pitchshifter is on. It's not really loud or obvious, but you can hear it if you listen. It's not anything really problematic, though, and it certainly doesn't get in the way of the tones or sound.

Admittedly, as a musician, my knowledge of basses and instruments as a whole is rather weak. I go by what looks nice and what plays comfortably. This bass fits both those criteria and goes the extra mile. The pickups are great (I believe they're humbuckers, but I'm not sure), with an active and a passive mode, and for you Fieldy fans out there, you can play Fieldy-style with this bass. However, once you discover all the other things it can do, you'll be spending the majority of your time playing other things. The 24 fret neck of this bass is easy to get around, and the bass itself is very comfortable and easy to play, with a double cutaway that makes getting to the 19th-24th frets easy. Playability wise, this bass is perfect for all bassists ranging from beginner to pro.