BTB556MP review by Ibanez

Ibanez: BTB556MP

This bass sounds amazing and also very versatile. You can almost instantly Switch from a warm jazz sound to a very hard rock, metal or punk sound. There is really no way to explain with text how amazing this bass sounds. You really need to experience it yourself to see its greatness.

I have tried many different basses and this one really suits my taste. At first I wanted to get the Ibanez SR506, which one of my friends owns the 4 string version and I loved its sound, so when I got to the store to order it, the clerk showed me the BTB556MP they had in stock and I instantly fell in love with it. Pictures don't really stand up to what it really looks like in person. I really love the way it looks. For some reason I never really liked painted basses, I love the look of natural wood with a matte finish, which makes this bass perfect for me. Since I went from 4 to 6 strings, it took a moment to adjust to the spacing, but nothing major. The thin neck makes it very comfortable and great for people with smaller hands. Overall this bass is great. I would recommend it to anyone Who wants a sexy yet very comfortable, versatile and durable bass. I've been playing it for over two months now and I'm glad the store had it in stock that day. I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Very reliable bass. The knobs have yet to even start getting loose. The strap buttons look and feel very sturdy and also haven't loosened. Gigging without any backup isn't any problem at all, unless of course you're someone with horrible bad luck. This bass also has a Neutrik jack which locks your cable into the bass. So no worries about it popping out. So it can and will withstand Live playing without any problem.

I don't think there is any flaw with the bass itself, if there is, I haven't found it. Though I have adjusted the bass for my own taste, it did have some small touches to fix. A nut on one of the tuners was a bit loose, so the slightest movement and it would rattle. Also the B string's action was set too low and the E string was out of intonation. These were easy fix, nothing much. Probably from people trying it in the store.

All the top shelf materials, commanding tones and great feel of an extremely expensive boutique bass-without the extremely expensive part. The BTB takes the traditional formula of powerful tones produced by a massive body and substantial neck and then adds an even longer 35 scale neck, the right mix of select woods and high-tech appointments. The BTB's unique off-center line neck shape, which follows the natural path of the thumb as it moves up the neck, makes upper fretwork as easy as playing the lower frets.

doive
    what does an off-line neck actually mean :s i'm not up on neck jargon ;p
    Ranxston
    Off center line means that the tip of the curvature isn't in the center.
    Pompuswazak
    sdmf.1919 wrote: Only really good for metal/hard rock. Very empty tone for everything else.
    I have owned a BTB556MP since last year and believe me, you can get whatever sound out of it you want to. I wrote a review for it a few months ago on Activebass.com in which I gave it 10 out of 10 and low and behold another review gave it the same.