BTB700DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: BTB700DX

Purchased from: Kley-Zemer Israel

The sound is great, and when I say great, I don't just mean "yeah, it sounds ok" - The EQ allows you to extract a very wide range of sound out of this baby. You play Metal, and you want some growling base - just boost the bass and cut the high-end, play with the mid frequency as you like, and you get a sound not very far from a Warwick Corvette. A jazz/blues/funk player - just do the opposite, and you will have a great poppy sound, perfect for slapping. No matter whether you use a pick, or your fingers - it will suit almost any type of music. I, personally, play heavier music, and I love the rich, warm, a bit crunchy sound of the low-end, especially tuned down to D standard. But the most important of all - even when you boost the bass all the way to the maximum, and the walls are shaking, you can still clearly hear each note, without melting the whole melody together. I use it on my Behringer BX600 (60W), and it fills the place all over only on 7-10% volume. Makes a good noise. Also tried it with my NYC Big Muff Pi - sounds great, but believe me - much better without it.

I play mostly metal of it's heavier forms (death, symphoblack etc.) and it gives me the perfect sound for it. It lacks the fifth string, but here in Israel we've got a problem with 5stringed basses. I've been playing for about 5 years, and owned only a Affinity Squire P-Bass, on which I've installed a Seymour Duncan pickup, but also had been playing other basses such as a Fender J-Bass, and some old Peavey model. Actually, when I came to the store to pick the instrument, My choice was between this one, and an American Fender J-Bass, (which was about 250$ more expensive), and after playing them both for about 30 minutes, I've made my decision. Not that it is better than the eternal JB, but I like the sound of this baby a bit more, as also it is versatile, as I've explained before.

Didn't tried it yet, but it looks pretty much built for live playing - it is lite, very comfortable for playing it in standing position, and feels good on the body. The strap buttons are rock solid, it took me a while to attach the strap - they are pretty big and mushroom-like looking, so they hold the strap pretty good. The hardware looks very good, all black and solid, looks very convincing. The only problem is the neck-thru construction - you can't go very wild with it on the stage, because at the end of all you will end up braking it somehow. The neck and the top wing of the body looks very fragile - the thinness of them and the light weight of the whole instrument just support the look.

The setup is actually perfect - the action is great, at least I can't see it being any better on this one, the pickups set well (although, there is not much to adjust, they are just seating on top), and the bridge is set fine, at least for the original 40-105 strings. I'm going to change the set to 65-135, so I guess some adjustments should be made. The tuning is holding very well. I've tuned it down to D standard, and after the first time I've adjusted it only once.

A brand new 2010 model - this particular one made in Indonesia, features: 22 (+2 only on the 1 and 2 string) medium frets, 35'' scale, 20-22 mm maple-bubinga neck-thru. As body, with a charming transparent black finish., with the Ibanez special wing-design. MR-2 bridge (19mm spacing), active EMG 40DC pickups (neck and bridge). Volume and balancer controls, Vari-Mid III 3-band eq - treble, bass and mid boost/cut, and a mid frequency control. And the usual BTB feature - wire-lock.

abbydaddy03
    Fausch
    EpiExplorer
    Fausch wrote: People care about bass tone in black metal? A lot of black metal I've heard you can't even hear the bass. I guess I've been hearing the wrong stuff.
    If its norwegian, its wrong.
    Wolf_Man
    teo_huat wrote: the neck looks very looonnnggggg!
    Actualy, it is pretty standard, not very long.
    abbydaddy03 wrote: Looks like a great instrument. If it's anything like Ibanez 6 string acoustics it is awesome! Mine refuses to go out of tune even in bad weather. Ibanez rules imo.
    It is. I'm very happy with it. I've also tried other BTBs before picking this one - they have a great sound for jazz or blues, but this one is made for heavy music - though it still features all the best stuff of other BTB bases. The only thing it lacks, as I wrote, is the 5 string. I just wish they would bring more good instruments to Israel... and lower the prices. You can buy this one for 150-200$ less on the web, or in any store in the US or Europe.
    Randomrings
    Ibanez is my favorite brand, always has been, and always will be. They make a great bass. I have a black Mikro bass and it's a straight up monster in every way. This one sounds great too
    Jsteele1408
    "The only problem is the neck-thru construction - you can't go very wild with it on the stage, because at the end of all you will end up braking it somehow" ... What? Neck-thru means the neck is actually set into the body of the instrument. Which would mean it's actually quite a bit less likely to break.
    BABA GUMP
    i play metal and jazz and funk, its great bass!!! sounds full and clear, she has long sustain and she sounds very quiet (no hums and hiss and krehtz) good electronics! very very wide EQ range! amazing! you can do every thing with this one! EMG pickups produce the MIDS freq that most bass guitars don't have. very reasonable price !!! enjoy! T H A N K YOU I B A N E Z!
    Starflare
    I friggin love this bass. I found one on thomann webstore for half price and was ecstatic. I instantly fell in love with the looks, and not only that, the sound is incredible and versatile. I don't see how neck-thru can be a bad thing, quite the opposite in fact.
    Wolf_Man
    Jsteele1408 wrote: ... What? Neck-thru means the neck is actually set into the body of the instrument. Which would mean it's actually quite a bit less likely to break.
    What I wanted to say, is the neck is so thin, that is pretty easy to brake, and if you end up breaking it - you've got a problem, because it cannot be as easily replaced as a bolt on one.