EDB605 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: EDB605

I used to play a lot of heavy metal, but I've since moved into more funk. The bass handles both beautifully. The pickups and the 3band EQ make almost any sound possible! I use a Gallien Krueger 700RB head, a GK 15" box. I can get sounds ranging from Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath) to Korn, and Flea from RHCP.

I've been playing for 9 years now, I have a few other guitars and a few other basses. This is by far my favourite! By comparison, I have a Kerry King signature B.C. Rich guitar, that is fantastic for one thing (metal) and sucks at anything else. This bass is incredibly versatile, it not only rocks for metal, but it is just as much fun to play chilli peppers on! I walked into The Bass Player trying out 5 strings, and I didn't like any of them. The low B would buzz, the pickups where in uncomfortable positions for finger playing, there was something that annoyed me about every one I tried. The guy pointed out this Ibanez and that it was second hand. I had looked past it because I thought it was Brand New and out of my price range. If you want a 5-string, and you see one of these give it a go! It won't get lost or stolen, because if it's not in my sight, then it's under lock and key! They don't make these anymore, and the newer models aren't as good, so I'm not losing this one! I hate reading reviews when someone gives 10 the whole way, but I seriously cannot fault this bass, especially for the price when you consider the versatility of the sound and it's features.

I've had this guitar for 4 years now and I have had no problems whatsoever. Nothing is loose, nothing moves when it shouldn't, the tuners still keep great tune. The finish is still as good as the day I found it, I suspect the Luthite material looks exactly the same the whole way through the body. I have never lost a strap from the guitar, and I don't use strap locks. The strap buttons are nice and chunky, but I also use good quality straps.

I purchased it second hand from The Bass Player (in Sydney, Aus) so it was setup perfectly. The action on this guitar is ultra-low (great for speed metal) and there is no fret buzz on the low B, unless you hit the string too hard. Ibanez know what they are doing with low B strings! The only flaw it had was one screw was missing from the battery plate on the back, but again, it is second hand. Fingerprints don't even stick to the luthite material that the body is made out of! It gets a little dusty, but that happens to every guitar, all it needs is a wipe over with a cloth, and it looks brand new.

Shame on Ibanez for discontinuing this "Luthite" model! The current EDB range is no longer made from Luthite, which is some sort of plastic compound. Ultra-tough, solid and really rugged. The finish on them is all the same. Rosewood neck with 24 frets, two awesome active pickups with 5 knobs. 1 volume, 1 pickup selector (yes a knob, not a switch), then a 3-band EQ!

ibanezg1092
    i used to have a gsr200 with the turquoise finish lol it was kewl looking bass but wasnt really enough for me. so when i got this thing. i couldnt stop playing it lol ill prolly keep this thing til im old and cant pluck a string.
    shadowfox70
    I just purchased this bass from a friend of mine for 285$ 2nd hand, at the very first moment i starred on it then gradually holding it very carefully, one thing my mind was saying, "beware of the devil". yes, i was tempted so much that on that day i had to cancel all my plans and budget for a lot more important to me, this thing, damm i cant help stare on it every day, considering i was broke that moment. Then i did some research on the specs and present costs. i didnt mind some of it on ebay but they were far from cheap, this bass is so pretty slick heavy shit goddam devil awesome bass i ever had. consider me saying that. Thanks,.....
    Spanky Dude
    hmm, whats $285 into cos i would like a good 5-string bass, im still using the old GSR-200 which is good, fairplay, but i want a better one. And a 5-string.