GSR180 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSR180

Purchased from: Elton Music

I play mostly hard rock and heavy metal music, and it is tuned to D# tuning. It's a versatile bass, and you can use it for finger picking, slapping or playing with a pick, and you will always get the wanted sound. It has 2 volume knobs and one tone knob which makes it easier to get finger/slap sound. I'm a pick player, and I use it somewhere between the finger/slap to get the sound I need, but if your amp is set accordingly, you will find it very bright. Just make sure to get good strings (I use Rotosound .105, factory strings were poor quality and were .100).

As I said, I play mostly hard rock and heavy metal, in drop tunings (currently tuned to D#), I'm a pick player, and I'm satisfied with it. Ibanez is a high quality factory, and when it comes to getting myself a new bass, I will probably search for some Ibanez 5-string. It will simply cut through any music style you want!

It has good sound, both during the rehearsals and live. It will surely last long enough until you get some higher quality bass, but this guitar is a perfect instrument for beginners! Strap buttons are good, just make sure that your straps are not too loose. I usually keep it a bit down, near my hips because it suits me. It is a very light bass, compared to most other basses I've tried. Definitely allows moving around the stage while playing.

When I bought it, it needed set-up to be remade, but in most cases, it has some minor flaws within it. Some frets are known to buzz, even with higher action, also you can have problem with pickup wires, they might have some loose wires inside. Finish is ok, bridge is fine, just needs some adjustments that will help you play, suiting your playing style. Nut has good spacing, the tuners keep the tuning very well, so you do not have to re-tune it very often. Also keep in mind that you may have to tighten all the screws on the guitar. Truss rod has a cover on the top (fantastic thing!).

I've been owning this bass for about a year and a half, and I can say that it's a perfect beginner bass. This model comes from China (dunno which year exactly), it has 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, one-piece maple neck and agathis body with nice red gloss finish, curved a bit on the top (hip and elbow curves). It has 19mm string spacing bridge, passive J-style pickups and 41mm nut. The neck is very slim and easy to play.